Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning a phone

Options
  • 13-05-2019 10:06pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I picked up a very cheap, €140, LG G Flex 2 in Harvey Norman last week.
    But I wrestled with it for the week and, facing facts, it's awful.
    Keeps freezing up, battery getting very hot and it was generally a lousy lousy performer.

Would I have a leg to stand on in returning it for a refund?
    I mean, at the very least, it should operate as an actual phone, rather than the crippled piece of trash it actually is.

Or, more likely, should I have been wiser in spending money on such an old phone in the first place?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭Xterminator

hi

if you return it as a change of mind you have no recourse other than goodwill of the store.

if you return it as faulty you have rights. you are entitled to one of the 3 r's. repair replace refund. Ask for a refund, or an alternative replacement phone. IE get a better phone.

you need to frame that initial conversation to say this phone is faulty.

of course they will need to establish if it is faulty - but freezing and overheating is a good start.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

of course they will need to establish if it is faulty - but freezing and overheating is a good start.

Yeah I'd agree. But it does sound like there's nothing necessarily wrong, it's just an ancient device from 2015 trying to run apps that are much more resource intense than they were back then. Really I think you just made a mistake here OP.

Something like this would be far superior:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Mi-Lite-5-84-Inch-Smartphone-Blue/dp/B07JGZRY4Q/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=xiaomi%2Bmi&qid=1557829348&s=gateway&sr=8-8&th=1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Ah, it was to be an interesting standby phone until the Oneplus 6 came back from repair.
    I have a Nextbit Robin there as well, but my wife had awful trouble with it.
    In the end that's what I used, instead of the Flex 2, and it's been flawless, running on 7.1.1, official firmware.

I'll reset the Flex 2, box it up and return it to the shop, see what happens.
    Hopefully it's be a refund or maybe store credit, a repair is a nonsense, it turns out these phones were lousy in the first place, with the freezing and overheating a "feature" to begin with.
    The updated firmware and apps just made it even worse.

electronic devices where user data is written to them - even when cleared are usually not returnable.

shouldn't really have gone near an old phone that is underpowered cpu-wise for today with low ram and slow storage and on a really old version of android.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Yep, I know :(

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Yep, I know :(

best bet is to claim it's not working correctly.

Advertisement