Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Librarian/Archivist jobs Ireland

Options
  • 13-05-2019 1:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

What are job prospects like for librarians or archivists in Ireland? A few years ago I know some posts were advertised through job bridge, for example. I've seen more library-related jobs advertised lately but it still doesn't seem a lot considering every year people are graduating with MLIS degrees from various colleges. I've seen few archivist jobs but maybe they are advertised internally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Civil service/public service would be the biggest employers I imagine. Look at publicjobs.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Universities would employ librarians too. NUI Galway require a certain level of Irish, probably the same for all the NUI sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Universities would employ librarians too. NUI Galway require a certain level of Irish, probably the same for all the NUI sites.

Some of the ITs seem to advertise on Publicjobs some other institutions as well AFAIK. No harm in checking the individual websites and that of the councils.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Shirlywhirl

Might sound odd but a good place to keep an eye out is Twitter using the #LISjobsIE. A lot of jobs are posted under that hashtag and it gives a good idea of what is available

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Friends who are archivists tell me there's always a good bit of work floating around, but you can be on a few short term contracts at different places before landing a long term job. A lot of the jobs are advertised through Archives Ireland and the Archives and Records Association UK and Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Library jobs would be advertised on county council websites too as they come under the councils.

Advertisement