Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Private Scan at 8/9 Weeks

Options
  • 12-05-2019 6:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 43

So I'm thinking of booking a private scan to check on baby when I'll be 8/9 weeks pregnant, I was wondering if it's likely to be internal or external? The booking info doesn't really say so am assuming its external. Any ideas? Also any reccomendations in Galway?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

FoxHouse wrote: »
    So I'm thinking of booking a private scan to check on baby when I'll be 8/9 weeks pregnant, I was wondering if it's likely to be internal or external? The booking info doesn't really say so am assuming its external. Any ideas? Also any reccomendations in Galway?

To the best of my knowledge it will in internal. Wife had a scan at 7 on the first and and 7.5 weeks on the 2nd and both were internal.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭scarepanda

As long as your sure of your dates it will be external. Afaik it's only internal if you have one before the 6 week mark. I had one at 7.5ish weeks and it was external, heartbeat was clearly visible at that stage.

Sorry, no recommendations for where to get one in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

At that point it depends.
    They'll try external first and if it's not working move to internal. I've had scans at that point, on different pregnancies, some have been fine with external, some have moved to internal.

8/9 weeks youll almost certainly be ok with external if your bladder is full. Drink 500ml of water 1 hour in advance. That way your bladder will be full but not crazy uncomfortable and if you've to wait it won't become a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I have had two scans at 8 weeks and both were external. I am plus size and there was no issue finding the heartbeat, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

I think I was 8+5 at my first scan this time, it was external, with no difficulties finding the heartbeat. The only issue might be, as someone else said, if your dates are out, or if your cycle length was longer than usual pre-pregnancy, you might not quite be the 8 weeks you think you are, so could have to have a better look!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

As Phoenix said external to start with.Try to have a full bladder.They will move to internal if needed.To be honest, the internal scan is very non-invasive, if that makes sense.I've had a few and always found it wasn't bad.Smear tests are worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Sarah1916

It should be external. I had a scan at 7 weeks and it was external.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

I had one at 8 weeks. They did external first which showed a heartbeat. Then they asked to do another one internally so they could measure the baby. I was dreading it but it was fine. A bit uncomfortable but not painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I had one at 8 weeks exactly and was external. In fact in the place I went to wouldn't allow you do a scan before 8 weeks. Don't think they do internal scans.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Galway fertility clinic offer private scans - that's where all mine were. I don't know of any other provider in Galway but I've not needed to look for a few years so I don't know if there are more.

I was always happy with the service in GFC and the scan was done by a registered nurse. My scans were at 7+3, 9+3, and 8w. As far as I can remember, they were internal scans but you could ask them to try an external one first if you are nervous? They darken the room so as to better see the scan so they don't really 'see' anything of you down there, they are looking at the screen and the drape over your knees covers you as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

On my first we had a scan at seven weeks approx. She tried external first, then had an internal.
    On my second I had a scan at seven weeks, just external as everything was visible.
    On my third my first appointment with my consultant was at eight weeks so we didn't bother with a clinic scan, she did an external scan and foetus was visible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

In Galway you can get scan at Galway Clinic but it requires your GP's referral. You can also get it as part of the Harmony test done at Arlington clinic in Oranmore. Mine were all external, but bladder has to be full, it also depends on your weight/size

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

You can get it done at Babyscan (I think that’s the name). Around the corner from Costa in the Orantown shopping center in Oranmore. For me, she tried externally but did internal for a clearer look.

Advertisement