Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turtle Pond

Options
  • 12-05-2019 1:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭

I'm considering getting a turtle to live in my garden pond, after reading a couple of UK based articles stating that there are certain breeds that can handle the weather there and can live in garden ponds all year round.

Has anyone done this or have any knowledge of it? It's one thing having a breed that can survive the Irish winter, but would it be cruel to them?

As a complete novice I want to do my research properly and only do it if it makes sense. Wondering if anyone has any experience to share?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Festina Lente in Bray have a terrapin sanctuary. They have 2 ponds in the walled garden that have wooden platforms in them for the terrapin to sun them selves on. So it is doable.

pool-garden.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Thanks for that, I think I'll try paying them a visit this weekend to have a look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Also apparently there are a few in the canals, Phoenix Park and I've seen one in Stephens green pond and one in the Botanic Gardens pond.
    These would be the common American sliders or red-eared type hybrids.
    Possibly a European pond tortoise would also survive, if you could get one.
    It seems they slow down in our climate, and only become active for a short time in the summer. As to whether that is cruel, well its hard to say.

Advertisement