Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ventilation Building Regulations

Options
  • 11-05-2019 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi,

I am looking at the ventilation building regs (see link below).

I am trying to figure out the actual size of the hole to bore in the bedrooms of my house to provide "General (background) Ventilation" .

There is a lovely table provided in the technical documentation (see link below, page 14). However, the table does not give me what I am after or else I just don't understand it.

In the habitable room row under General Ventilation column, it states floor area 10m2 - 5000mm2. Looks like a very big hole for a vent for me and there is no formula that I can see. I would assume the vent hole is dependent on room size and some static air flow rate measurement?

My Question is, how do I interpret the regs to know what size hole in the wall I need for air to flow from inside room to outside and vice versa.....

https://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/migrated-files/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/BuildingStandards/FileDownLoad%2C1647%2Cen.pdf

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

When was the house built?
    Pre 2010 dia100mm

• Registered Users Posts: 24 davemc1987

It was built in 2003, The property has "Trickle" vents on the windows. But I don't know if they are sufficient.

How did you come to diameter 100mm? Is it stated somewhere or is it just from experience? I'd like to know what to reference incase the regs change for some reason

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

http://www.glidevale.com/uploads/9762c72b63a31364bace160976992e9b.pdf

Just google ‘5000mm2 wall vent’, The above was on the first page.

Pre circa 2010 homes were drafty, so the higher air-leakage rate probably applies, so 100mmdia vent will do

Why do you think the tricks vents aren’t sufficient? Do you ‘purge’ Ventilate during the day?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

davemc1987 wrote: »
    It was built in 2003, The property has "Trickle" vents on the windows. But I don't know if they are sufficient.

How did you come to diameter 100mm? Is it stated somewhere or is it just from experience? I'd like to know what to reference incase the regs change for some reason

area of circle is pi multiplied by radius squared
    so 80mm diameter pipe would be
    3.14 x (40x40) = 5024 mm2
    but to allow for the area of the louvers blocking the end of the pipe it is rounded up to 100mm pipe

Advertisement