Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shortage for Valsartan and Diovan

Options
  • 09-05-2019 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭

From my pharmacy

"The nationwide shortage for both Valsartan and Diovan from our suppliers is still continuing and even worse now. The Pharmacists are advising for out customers to refer back to their GP to get an alternative BP medication as we have none of the above to give to our customers. "

Is this really a nationwide issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

...Is this really a nationwide issue?

Nope. It's not nationwide. It's WORLDwide.

The problem is that an impurity was found in the active ingredient, and one factory was producing the active ingredient for nearly the whole world.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Nope. It's not nationwide. It's WORLDwide.

The problem is that an impurity was found in the active ingredient, and one factory was producing the active ingredient for nearly the whole world.

Thanks - any other option but to back to my GP? Is there any point in ringing around other pharmacies?

Depends on your dose and on whether you're on Valsartan alone (Diovan) or Valsartan with Hydrochlorthiazide (Diovan Plus).

By checking out different brands and possibly giving 2 tablets instead of one, I've been able to sort out all of my patients so far.

I couldn't get Vals/Hctz 160/12.5, for example, but I gave Vals 80 plus Vals/Hctz 80/12.5 to make up the same dose.

If you're one of those people who "...can't take any brand other than my usual one...", then you're screwed!
    (And full of crap! But that's an argument for a different day)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,535 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Thanks for the update. I'm on 320 vals, not plus, (usually 2 x 160) with 10mg amlodopine. Definitely not brand fussy. All suggestions welcome.

... I'm on 320 vals, not plus, (usually 2 x 160) with 10mg amlodopine. Definitely not brand fussy...

Shouldn't be a problem, so. You can take 2x Exforge 160/5, which is available.

• Advertisement
Advertisement