Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a timber supplier - PAO

Options
  • 08-05-2019 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi All,

I'm undertaking some DIY joinery by making a bedframe for myself. I've been looking around at the major stores and I'm trying to find some, what I thought were, standard dimensional, planed all over, timber lengths. In particular I'm looking for a number of 4x4, 4x2, 6x1, 2x2 sections by varying lengths. My trouble is I can't find much for the 4x4 section size. I'm looking for a hardwood but nothing expensive. Would anyone have any recommendations of any places they've used in the past? Any help you could give would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Hardwood usually is sold rough, and you plane it after you buy it, but there are a few places that will sell you planed hardwood to order, but it won't be cheap, what's your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

I'm in Dublin, the northside but can travel if I can get a deal. I don't have a planer but if it'd save me some money overall then I'm sure I could do that so if you have recommendations of somewhere which supplies either or both then I'd appreciate that.

Strahan timber in Rathcoole, or Wood Workers in Harold's Cross both provide a planing service. I don't think you will get 4 inch thick hardwood except maybe in Iroko, you will have to use two 2 inch pieces stuck together.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,245 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Abbey Woods in Baldoyle are worth a call. http://www.abbeywoods.ie

Also there is a place at 17 Gracepark road,

Larrys DIY who may source and plane it for you.

17 Grace Park Rd, Drumcondra, Dublin 9

9Q92+F3 Dublin 9, Whitehall, Dublin

(01) 837 3490

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Strahan timber in Rathcoole, or Wood Workers in Harold's Cross both provide a planing service. I don't think you will get 4 inch thick hardwood except maybe in Iroko, you will have to use two 2 inch pieces stuck together.

TA?
    Is Accoya a soft or hardwood http://www.abbeywoods.ie
    C52

• Advertisement

TA?
    Is Accoya a soft or hardwood http://www.abbeywoods.ie
    C52

Accoya is a trademark, for a wood treatment, it's pine which has been treated with a chemical, similar to vinegar which removes a small percentage of the wood cells which are responsible for the start of decay in the wood, with these cells removed the wood should not rot, as it's a pine it's easy to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Technically you need the wood to be jointed and planed.

Accoya is a trademark, for a wood treatment, it's pine which has been treated with a chemical, similar to vinegar which removes a small percentage of the wood cells which are responsible for the start of decay in the wood, with these cells removed the wood should not rot, as it's a pine it's easy to work.

Thanks, have used it and is good to work with.

Advertisement