Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on pruning leaders Cherry Blossom

Options
  • 08-05-2019 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭

Hi,

I could use advise with pruning the leaders. My concern is - is it going to be too much to remove all of them at the same time ? I have two ornamental cherry trees. Both grew over the years with out being pruned. I'd like to bring them under control.

Current state of first one.
    47013280784_26b5c1d1a7_z.jpg

I was thinking about cutting off the one on the left and two on the right to bring it to one single trunk.
    47802362491_4429f4c914_z.jpg

Current state of second one.
    47802346911_3a026a0526_z.jpg

Same tree as above - pic taken from opposite side to show branches.
    As for this one I'm not sure. Probably the lowest leader could go. And just trim the top ?
    47802346661_24aeb45b18_z.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I think cherry blossoms look best when they aren't reaching for the sky, but spreading outwards. I'm no expert on tree pruning, but if you could prune the top to encourage more "bushy"/sideways growth they would look better IMO. I would definitely take out the bottom leader in the last pic.

Advertisement