Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher level Chemistry

Options
  • 08-05-2019 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I am looking to do higher level chemistry in June 2020 & have a couple of queries.

I was wondering is it even possible to register to do 1 exam?

Is it possible cover all the material in 1 school year?

I am based in Cork, where would be the best place to get tutoring? Grind?

Tia;)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Yes it is possible to do one exam.

If it is the only subject you are doing, it is certainly possible to cover the material in one year. A great deal will depend on your previous knowledge of the subject.

I don't really know what is available in Cork, but it may be an idea contact Cork College of Commerce and see can they help you. Since they are run by the ETB, their rates should be the cheapest.

repeatlc@ccoc.ie
    (021) 4223801

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

spurious wrote: »
    Yes it is possible to do one exam.

If it is the only subject you are doing, it is certainly possible to cover the material in one year. A great deal will depend on your previous knowledge of the subject.

I don't really know what is available in Cork, but it may be an idea contact Cork College of Commerce and see can they help you. Since they are run by the ETB, their rates should be the cheapest.

repeatlc@ccoc.ie
    (021) 4223801

Thanks for the reply spurious, I'll look into the ccoc.

When you say a great deal will depend on your previous knowledge of the subject, what would I need to know beforehand before I even start? What resources are available to achieve this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I mean have you done Junior Cert. Science, do you know the basics?
    What an atom is, etc.?

spurious wrote: »
    I mean have you done Junior Cert. Science, do you know the basics?
    What an atom is, etc.?

Many moons ago. :D

I would probably remember the very basics but tbh I would be looking to go from the start really.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

There are some very good (free) resources online these days. I'm not a science-y person, so others may hop in with better suggestions for a relative beginner, but one I often hear mentioned around here is Khan Academy (click).

No harm to have a look, even if you find yourself getting a bit lost after a while it might start to reactivate those basics which are buried deep in your brain somewhere still.

Then when you find a class that suits you, you won't feel as nervous walking in the first day.

• Advertisement

There are some very good (free) resources online these days. I'm not a science-y person, so others may hop in with better suggestions for a relative beginner, but one I often hear mentioned around here is Khan Academy (click).

No harm to have a look, even if you find yourself getting a bit lost after a while it might start to reactivate those basics which are buried deep in your brain somewhere still.

Then when you find a class that suits you, you won't feel as nervous walking in the first day.

Thanks Randy, I'll look into that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭hasdanta

Honestly, I'd say you'd be fine jumping into HL LC Chemistry based on your knowledge of JC Chemistry from years ago because JC Chemistry is so oversimplified it's basically useless going into LC Chemistry.

However, I'd strongly recommend getting a grinds teacher. LC Chem has a good bit of theory that can be just rote learned but for calculations regarding moles, molarity etc. I'd recommend you learn that off someone.

hasdanta wrote: »
    Honestly, I'd say you'd be fine jumping into HL LC Chemistry based on your knowledge of JC Chemistry from years ago because JC Chemistry is so oversimplified it's basically useless going into LC Chemistry.

However, I'd strongly recommend getting a grinds teacher. LC Chem has a good bit of theory that can be just rote learned but for calculations regarding moles, molarity etc. I'd recommend you learn that off someone.

Thanks for that hasdanta, that definetely gives me a bit of confidence anyway.

I went on the grinds thread to look for a teacher, preferably who knows the syllabus inside out, marking schemes, study/answering techniques etc. but to no avail yet.

Advertisement