Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new gravel specific shimano groupset announced - GRX

Options
  • 07-05-2019 5:42pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Component and drivetrain giant, Shimano have launched a versatile gravel/adventure-specific groupset, which can be set up as double or 1X, 10- or 11-speed, mechanical or electronic shifting, wide or close gear ratios and be integrated for use with a dropper post.

Shimano say the new GRX series is a platform that addresses riders’ needs now and into the future through gravel riding, modern adventure road riding, bike-packing or cyclo-cross.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/shimano-grx-gravel-specific-groupset-launched/

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,947 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

New bike needed so is it?

Possibly losing a bit of share to Sram on 1x road / cross / gravel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭JMcL

Nice. Same pull ratios as road shifters for RD so should make whacking on a wide range cassette straightforward. Married to that 48/31 crankset and the new front derailleur should give speed and wall climbing ability. Hopefully the prices are somewhat reasonable

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

JMcL wrote: »
    Nice. Same pull ratios as road shifters for RD so should make whacking on a wide range cassette straightforward. Married to that 48/31 crankset and the new front derailleur should give speed and wall climbing ability. Hopefully the prices are somewhat reasonable

Delighted to see this new arrival. I'll be picking up a 48/31 crankset to replace the FSA Omega 46/30 on my Felt VR30. The 30T coupled with the 32T on the cassette is fantastic for really steep climbs but the 46T big ring is pretty useless on the road as I spin out too easy, the 48 should help a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Folks

Query on this - would appreciate if anyone can advise.

I've been on a waiting list for ages for Gravel bike that has Shimano GRX RX600/400 components for Groupset and Brakes.

It keeps getting pushed out and pushed out.

The bike shop says they have another gravel bike on sale (different brand) that has Shimano 105 components.

Price is +/- the same for the two bikes as it happens.

Can anyone talk through the difference in terms - answers like 'one is 48:32 and the other is 51:30' leave me very much in the dark.

THanks.

PS
    This is what I've ordered:
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2021/bikes/road/offroad/nuroad/cube-nuroad-race-greybluenorange/
    This is what I've been offerred:
    https://can-en.feltbicycles.com/products/broam-30-adventure-road-bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Folks

Query on this - would appreciate if anyone can advise.

I've been on a waiting list for ages for Gravel bike that has Shimano GRX RX600/400 components for Groupset and Brakes.

It keeps getting pushed out and pushed out.

The bike shop says they have another gravel bike on sale (different brand) that has Shimano 105 components.

Price is +/- the same for the two bikes as it happens.

Can anyone talk through the difference in terms - answers like 'one is 48:32 and the other is 51:30' leave me very much in the dark.

THanks.

PS
    This is what I've ordered:
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2021/bikes/road/offroad/nuroad/cube-nuroad-race-greybluenorange/
    This is what I've been offerred:
    https://can-en.feltbicycles.com/products/broam-30-adventure-road-bike

Can't help on ratios etc but the GRX has specific hoods(which give better grip allegedly) and has a clutch rd.

I gave up waiting last September and fitted old stuff from parts box.

I'll start looking again next year

Can't help on ratios etc but the GRX has specific hoods(which give better grip allegedly) and has a clutch rd.

I gave up waiting last September and fitted old stuff from parts box.

I'll start looking again next year

What does that mean - better grip.

Not being smart but I thought tyres gave better grip - does it mean the chain doesnt slip?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    What does that mean - better grip.

Not being smart but I thought tyres gave better grip - does it mean the chain doesnt slip?

Thanks.

The hoods, where you grip with your hands

Ta - just did a google search :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Are you planning to use bike mainly on the road or do you envisage doing a lot of off-road cycling?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,333 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The Broam isn't full 105 - its an FSA crankset. That'll give you the same gearing as the GRX. I have that crankset on my AL Topstone "Tiagra" and it was also on the "105" model at the time. My only real complaint is that I'd like to move one of my power meters to it, and their not compatible (and they would be with GRX).

Just had a look there, and current models of the Broam seem to be GRX, so I'd suggest that's a previous years model they are offering you.

Are you planning to use bike mainly on the road or do you envisage doing a lot of off-road cycling?

I have a pretty decent road bike, its a Trek 1500 that I bought years and years ago.

So I would definitely want something that offers a bit of functionality I am not getting with the road bike. The offroad I am looking at would be places like the phoenix park - or maybe the gravel paths by the canal. That sort of thing.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    The Broam isn't full 105 - its an FSA crankset. That'll give you the same gearing as the GRX. I have that crankset on my AL Topstone "Tiagra" and it was also on the "105" model at the time. My only real complaint is that I'd like to move one of my power meters to it, and their not compatible (and they would be with GRX).

Just had a look there, and current models of the Broam seem to be GRX, so I'd suggest that's a previous years model they are offering you.

Thats correct its a 2019 model I am offerred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,165 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

The two bikes are almost identical in every respect. Although one is 105 and the other GRX both sets of components are at or about the same pricepoint. Even the cranksets are around the same price. I assume they're using the FSA because the 105 doesn't come in 46/30, not to save money.

AFAIK, the purpose of the clutch RD is specific to bumpy off-road riding so if you're doing a lot of that it might be useful but I don't know much about it!

Regarding having a road bike, after a few months of cycling a gravel frame on 40c tyres with hydraulic disc brakes you won't find the road bike very attractive. You may as well sell it now.

The two bikes are almost identical in every respect. Although one is 105 and the other GRX both sets of components are at or about the same pricepoint. Even the cranksets are around the same price. I assume they're using the FSA because the 105 doesn't come in 46/30, not to save money.

AFAIK, the purpose of the clutch RD is specific to bumpy off-road riding so if you're doing a lot of that it might be useful but I don't know much about it!

Regarding having a road bike, after a few months of cycling a gravel frame on 40c tyres with hydraulic disc brakes you won't find the road bike very attractive. You may as well sell it now.

Thanks for that. Sentimental attachment to the road bike, for the few hundred I'd get there is no way I would sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The Broam has a 46/30 crankset so gearing between the two bikes should be near enough identical however I wouldn’t personally be happy with a 2019 bike (despite it being new and unused) when I ordered a 2021 model bike but it’s entirely up to you.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

As CJC said, the only real issue is that the 2019 is already devalued a bit more than the 2020 but with the delay in bikes, it wouldn't concern me.

The clutch is a non issue for the riding you described, I have a clutch on my 1X CX bike and turned it off, no need for it on 1X and I imagine with a double and a front derailleur, equally unnecessary for the cycling you describe.

Biggest question is if you like the bike, don't settle for the one they offered if you don't like the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,226 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'd agree - not for the same price and I don't see any justification for it being higher (I'd consider Cube and Felt close to equal in terms of brand). The only real difference that I can spot will be the clutch on the rear derailleur (not a huge issue), and the shifter hoods maybe being a bit better. So it is close to the same spec - but being a 2019 model, and 105 vs. GRX for a gravel bike, would certainly impact resale value for example. I'd be wanting 2-300€ off

Thanks folks for the responses. In normal times, I'd take the point on the discount for an older model but there are no 2021 gravel bikes in stock anywhere regardless.

Anyway, on balance having waited this long I think I'll continue to wait.

Advertisement