Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handicap query

Options
  • 07-05-2019 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭

I didn't rejoin my club this year due to a combination of an increase in sub and a baba no2 due during the summer. My query is about the fact that my handicap is still live on golfnet. Can I still play in open competitions or whats the story?
    When will my handicap lapse or has it lapsed due to me not being a paid up member of a club this year?? Any clarification would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

fearruanua wrote: »
    I didn't rejoin my club this year due to a combination of an increase in sub and a baba no2 due during the summer. My query is about the fact that my handicap is still live on golfnet. Can I still play in open competitions or whats the story?
    When will my handicap lapse or has it lapsed due to me not being a paid up member of a club this year?? Any clarification would be appreciated

I'm guessing that your club haven't turn off your handicap as they think you may rejoin,
    It should be turn off by now though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Your handicap is no longer valid from the second your membership lapsed in your club.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Does it not remain a valid handicap for 6 months after you leave...assuming you join a new club within those 6 months, (not that you can just go out playing opens with no active membership)?

Otherwise its 3 fresh cards?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Does it not remain a valid handicap for 6 months after you leave...assuming you join a new club within those 6 months, (not that you can just go out playing opens with no active membership)?

Otherwise its 3 fresh cards?

Unfortunately not Space. It’s gone the minute you leave. If you join a club within 6 months you’ll get the same handicap but any longer and it’s 3 cards.
    This is what I was told a few years ago when I took a year out from membership and eventually changed clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

charlieIRL wrote: »
    Unfortunately not Space. It’s gone the minute you leave. If you join a club within 6 months you’ll get the same handicap but any longer and it’s 3 cards.
    This is what I was told a few years ago when I took a year out from membership and eventually changed clubs.

Cheers Charlie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

charlieIRL wrote: »

would agree with this

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

Thanks for the responses lads.
    I really want to keep my handicap even though I won't be playing a lot of golf. At least I can go to the odd open day or AM AM and be able to participate in the competitions. Will have to look into a few distance memberships.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

what is the story so if you cant rejoing for medical reasons does your handicap lapse or it is held off?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

slingerz wrote: »
    what is the story so if you cant rejoing for medical reasons does your handicap lapse or it is held off?

my understanding is that in order to hold a valid handicap you must be a member of a GUI affiliated club. If you aren't a member for whatever reason, than you can't have a handicap.

Perhaps though your club will be lenient and allow you to join on a reduced fee basis if there is a medical condition. Maybe they will just charge you the GUI fees, maybe a bar levy & small pavilion membership fee.

So you can possibly continue to hold your handicap but unless you play golf 3 times you will loose the "c" status. That just means the status of your handicap has changed, but you still have your handicap. it doesn't mean you can't play in competitions (clubs can set their own rules on this). New rules also allow you to put in as many supplementary scores as you like to regain/hold onto your "c" status (unless you are cat 1).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Seve OB wrote: »
    my understanding is that in order to hold a valid handicap you must be a member of a GUI affiliated club. If you aren't a member for whatever reason, than you can't have a handicap.

Perhaps though your club will be lenient and allow you to join on a reduced fee basis if there is a medical condition. Maybe they will just charge you the GUI fees, maybe a bar levy & small pavilion membership fee.

So you can possibly continue to hold your handicap but unless you play golf 3 times you will loose the "c" status. That just means the status of your handicap has changed, but you still have your handicap. it doesn't mean you can't play in competitions (clubs can set their own rules on this). New rules also allow you to put in as many supplementary scores as you like to regain/hold onto your "c" status (unless you are cat 1).

my club has no alternative options your either a member or your not. I've been injured since October and no sign of a recovery on the horizon unfortunately.

Should i recover in late July say and end up no paying my membership and rejoin what handicap would i get in a golf classic for example? would i play off my 'current' handicap or would i just get 18 as non gui?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Question - I have joined a club but didnt receive any gui details etc.

I am in the process of submitting my 3 cards - 1 to go.
    Is it only after i get my handicap do i get my golfnet details and gui details ?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭padmcv

carq wrote: »
    Is it only after i get my handicap do i get my golfnet details and gui details ?

Yes, this is what I was told when I joined last week

Advertisement