Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to remove Leyland Cypress trees

Options
  • 07-05-2019 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

Whats the best way to cut Leyland Cypress trees around a house?
    We have up to 70-100 of them and they have gotten out of hand. whats the easiest way and safest?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,571 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

safest way - pay a professional to do it for you.
    easiest way - ringbark them, give them time to die, and then set fire to them*

*i do not recommend this course of action

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,571 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

more seriously, how tall are they? if they've gotten out of hand, i assume they're tall?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭eeinke

yes they are at least 3-5m

ah, that's not *too* bad so. they can grow to ten times that height.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Go Pro. I had 6 of the feckers and it took over a day to cut down and dig up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭eeinke

having up to 70 trees will be expensive so it'll have to be homejob

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You need to hire a chipper to deal with all the brash, there will be a lot of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,295 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

What collective madness possessed Irish people to start planting these?

They are vile

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

3-5m seems sounds more like a tall hedge than a row of trees, unless they've been hard pruned from a taller height in the past.

What thickness are the trunks?

I have helped with an amateur felling of a pair of Lleylandii or maybe 12" trunk thickness and it was a bit scary. The chainsaw operator was a general garden contractor/handyman but not experienced in large tree felling, and neither of us would want to repeat it.

As a rule of thumb, if the job requires climbing with a chainsaw, you need professionals.

the ones i took out (about 20 or 25m of leylandii, maybe about 12 in total, about the same height) had branches so dense i don't know if a chainsaw as the main tool would have been practical/safe. i took my time at it, and sawed any branches i could with a lopping saw - probably up to as thick as my forearm - so had them down to skeletons by the time the coup de grace was delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Apologies for the bump but Im getting a load of Cypress trees removed from the garden soon (Lawsons cypress according to my Seek app), they're absolutely huge and I hate the look of them plus the neighbour wants to go in with me on them because she hates them aswell.

Anyway Im going for a pollinator and insect friendly wild garden at the minute and there will be so much logs from these I could make a couple of woodpiles and maybe edge the whole garden in nice thick logs for the solitary bees and moss/fungi etc.

But now Im worried its an invasive species and native insects wont go near it? Same for the fungi? And I could be just left with a load of useless wood everywhere, what do people think?

Post edited by Thargor on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭standardg60

Dead wood is dead wood, it will be used/colonised regardless so don't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,163 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There was half an old rotten telegraph pole in this garden when we moved in. It was lying in a patch of weeds and brambles. When we found it it was mostly hollow and housed mice - the tiny field mice - and bugs of all sorts, and this is a (admittedly very old) creosoted telegraph pole.

Advertisement