Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting opinions please.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Nice area for casting irish wildflower seeds.
    You will have to strim it down tight before casting seeds so they find 'purchase'.
    There are varying mixes for what types you'd like, based on colours for example. They attract bees and butterflies and are a pleasure.
    You need to mow it only twice a year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 ando2891

Have you ever done this yourself? Sounds perfect but I’d worry about the gorse taking over! Would love to see a wildflower garden in the flesh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

Yes I did it a couple of years ago . I don't have any gorse problems though. And no photos atm as I mowed it back to 4inches last week.
    The thing is a lot of wildflowers only bloom in or around summer months + - . The rest of time it is just greenery and most people dont recognize them as anything other than weeds. So you may need to keep it looking tidy and that's something you don't want as you mentioned.
    Do a little research and see what comes up.
    Bees and butterflies are really attracted to purple and pink flowers.

I don't know why more gardeners and centres
    everywhere don't always promote the attraction of these extremely necessary insects.
    Without pollinators we're doomed.
    Imagine every household having these flower types in their gardens. There wouldn't be such a decline in bee numbers.
    Get some blue and purple buddleias for butterflies. They're cheap and very hardy.
    Bees love Marigolds Poppies Roses Snowdrops Sunflowers Bluebells Honeysuckle.
    There are different attractor flowers for summer and winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭looksee

While I agree with your argument auspicious, the only plants that might survive in the OPs garden from your list are buddleia, poppy and maybe marigolds. It is very poor but some wild flowers would grow there. You need to get rid of most of the gorse - treat it with spot weedkiller then pull up the roots. Some plants that may do well would be weld, ox eye daisies, plantain.

Here is a useful site that gives various options https://www.flowerpotman.com/growing-a-wildflower-lawn/soil-wildflowers-grow-in/

Advertisement