Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Gigabox in Bridge mode

Options
  • 05-05-2019 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭

Howdy

Anyone done this.

I enabled Bridge Mode (said IP V4 legacy mode) and since then I have no internet, no connectivity, can't access the router.

Have it hooked into a Netgear Nighthawk and wired in directly on both and cannot get to the Vodafone router to change it back.

Anyone hit this issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭champchamp

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Why in gods name didn't that come up when I searched for gigabox bridge mode.

You sir are a legend. I appreciate it. Have ripped out the vodafone modem and now my nighthawk does the dirty work. Still only getting 60mb on the wifi on the nighthawk same as when I was plugging it into the vodafone modem, but I think Netgear support can investigate that since the QoS speed test shows 400-600 when testing.

I assume the other 400 lost is contention.

I have the same router. I read that hardware acceleration is disabled in PPoE and the router has to work at max capacity, resulting in poor speeds. Basically it's not up to the task for gigabit lines.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 yellowpens

Can anyone tell me what these are?
    (See attached)

There is one installed every 8 to 10 polls on our road, is this SIRO, 5G, or Fibre?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

yellowpens wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me what these are?
    (See attached)

There is one installed every 8 to 10 polls on our road, is this SIRO, 5G, or Fibre?

Thanks

It's a distribution point for FTTH from open eir. See details here:

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057871133

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

I'm looking to setup a Gigabox in bridge modem for DSL. Its about 10 years since I worked with DSL routers but I remember I could but them in bridge mode and enable PPPoE on the firewall enter the creds and it would work. Anyone know if its this straight forward with the Gigabox/vodafone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭tnegun

In case anyone else comes acrosss this, bridge mode works using PPPoE with your own router with DSL connectivity over fibre. I used the Username vodafone@vodafone.ie and password doesn't seem to matter.
    I had to set the MSS to 1452 on all interfaces too setting the MTU to 1492 on the PPPoE int didn't suffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sparsh

Hi All, I just successfully installed VF gigabox bridged with Netgear Nighthawk R7000 without having to do anything with any settings on either devices so posting the process here:
    1. Both devices powered off (in fact just took out VF Gigabox out of the box
    2. Connected DSL cable to VF box with the wall socket
    3. Connected VF box and Nighthawk with WAN cable (used LAN port on VF Gigabox and WAN port on Nighthawk.
    4. Powered on VF gigabox first, Let it boot fully (wait for all three light come on)
    5. Then powered on Nighthawk and wait for it to fully boot up.

I don't know if this will be called bridged mode or just wifi extender mode. But Network is working like a breeze and I am able to connect both to VF Connection and Netgear connection. Have all the Ethernet LAN ports on both devices working as well.
    I want to mention here that I was using Netgear with Eir F2000 modem and at that time I had to configure the settings both on Eir box and Nighthawk. May be the PPPoe is still working from those settings but surprisingly I did not have to do anything at all on VF Gigabox.

Checked speed on netgear: 94 to 95 mbps (I have 100mbps connection on the plan and not 1000mbps)

Hope that is helpful to someone.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Yah I feel like what you're describing is that you've plugged the Gigabox into a Nighthawk. So you're passing on the connection like manually plugging it into a laptop. So you'll have Gigabox Wifi AND Nighthawk Wifi

But the Gigabox might have less processing power which might lead to less speed but in your scenario of being only on the 100mb plan might lead to very little impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭dam099

You will also probably have double NAT (may not matter) and two DHCP servers (which might cause strange behaviours).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I'm in the same situation as many on this thread - i've the DSL version of the VF Gigabox and i'm looking to upgrade.

Available DSL speed (up/down) hardwired is around 78 Mbps/20 Mbps. On wifi close to the router it's around 50 Mbps/18Mbps. It's patchy in the back of the house. Phone still reads it as 30 Mbps/15Mbps but the ikea wifi speaker has regular drop outs and disconnects. Two wifi plugs and a nest mini have intermittent issues.

I was using netgear power network plugs to the sitting room but I realised they were causing issues with online gaming using the xbox. Ideally i'd lay cable but that ship has passed and the mrs won't have been putting ducting in or ripping out walls.

So the current issue is we have around 10 smart home devices, both of us are WFH with regular VC calls and the kids are on ipads and connectivity feels 'sluggish'.

The download speed doesn't change but surfing on wifi even close to the router and then connecting the laptop via network cable is night and day - it's zippier. Much crisper.

Now I've messed with wifi bands. Made sure all the slow devices are on the 2.4 and the faster stuff on the 5ghz but it doesn't seem to have made any difference.

If I connect a netgear nighthawk router to the gigabox can i expect better wifi, better internet responsiveness without impacting xbox live performance (which is really sensitive to NAT issues etc.)

Thanks for reading and sorry if there's technical buffoonery in there.

Quad

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭davidod1

Could I ask for some clarification here on a couple of points. I have a VF Gigabox with FTTH (100Mbits) and a pretty strong WiFi signal where it matters.

Frequently though, I have some smart-home devices loosing connection and needing to reconnect. I have an Honor X3 Pro router on the way at the moment and I am hoping that if I put the Gigabox in Bridge Mode then the X3 Router will take over the DHCP operations and eliminate or at least reduce these disconnections. Am I correct in this, or will the DHCP still be handled by the Gigabox?

Thanks for any help received.

Advertisement