Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late frost?

Options
  • 05-05-2019 1:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone

Just looking for a bit of advice, I noticed this morning a few of our trees leaves are gone all brown and curled up - I got a bit of fright because it's nearly all ash trees as they are as usual the latest to go into leaf. But then I noticed the magnolia flowers have curled up and died overnight and a couple of ferns have done the same. Is this a late frost? The weather has been lovely but exceptionally chilly.

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

No idea where you are but there was a serious grass frost out here this morning. west mayo offshore and frost is rare on the island.
    so yes I think frost damage.

Check the weather forum here too and I gather more frost tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Graces7 wrote: »
    No idea where you are but there was a serious grass frost out here this morning. west mayo offshore and frost is rare on the island.
    so yes I think frost damage.

Check the weather forum here too and I gather more frost tonight

I'm in the northwest but it's something I've never seen before excepting early potato plants coming in March and getting frosted - I have never seen this on a 40ft ash tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Has a bit of the same here. The emerging leaves of several tree browned but it's mostly from wind damage over the past couple of weeks. The magnolia in the garden are coming to the end of their flowering and turning brown, however that's just the normal cycle for them. There was a reasonable frost last night and, again, not unusual as we often get a belt of frost in May. Everything will recover from this and be absolutely fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

We had frost warnings for this weekend too, unfortunately perhaps it's what you're seeing. Quite disappointing I agree.

Thanks Srameen

yes the Magnolia has been flowering longer than normal and is near it's end but it's gone overnight. Must be frost so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

I got similar curl / die / discolouration on new growth. Was blaming the winds from recent storm. Rarely get frost here in N Kerry, but it has been v cool at night last couple of days.

Yep just checked all around the garden and adjoining fields every ash tree has the blackened leaves - however a few potatoes just coming out have it too - a sure sign of frost - it must have come down last night or the night before This polar air is making it unseasonably cold. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pretzill wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Just looking for a bit of advice, I noticed this morning a few of our trees leaves are gone all brown and curled up - I got a bit of fright because it's nearly all ash trees as they are as usual the latest to go into leaf. But then I noticed the magnolia flowers have curled up and died overnight and a couple of ferns have done the same. Is this a late frost? The weather has been lovely but exceptionally chilly.

TIA

Not frost. But storm Hannah did a great job on all the young supple leaves in trees. Destroyed them she did. They’ll be ok next year but will look ugly for this season unfortunately

vicwatson wrote: »
    Not frost. But storm Hannah did a great job on all the young supple leaves in trees. Destroyed them she did. They’ll be ok next year but will look ugly for this season unfortunately

Storm Hannah didn't feature up here except for some hail. The ash is only going into leaf now so I'm guessing it's burned by the frost rather than wind - all other trees look fresh and green :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Pretzill wrote: »
    Storm Hannah didn't feature up here except for some hail. The ash is only going into leaf now so I'm guessing it's burned by the frost rather than wind - all other trees look fresh and green :)

Where’s that?

Might be frost in your case but Hannah slaughtered young leaves

• Advertisement

Where’s that?

Might be frost in your case but Hannah slaughtered young leaves

South Sligo - It's just the ash, potatos and a few new ferns - I was worried about ash dieback to be honest but if it's wind or frost they should all come back from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Same down south all the new ash leaves were black today. The ferns two and the outside potatoes are as well even with a crop cover. They were well over a foot high. Sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 18,487 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We’re in east Cavan at 620ft altitude.

We see frosts well through May and indeed have lost bedding plants up to late May from frosts.

Regularly the late frost kills apple blossoms and so no apples for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,697 ✭✭✭✭listermint

My robot mowers wheels gathered morning dew 2 weeks ago and the threads filled up with ice. The wheels lost traction due to the ice . Mower stuck insitu when I found it at 9am.

Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭staples7

A lot of my leaves are the same from the storm, especially 2 nice mop head maples. There’s no chance they’ll bud again this season?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

just sown a bed of wild flowers the other day...will the frost kill the seeds?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

fryup wrote: »
    just sown a bed of wild flowers the other day...will the frost kill the seeds?

Not at all. What frost there is now is slight and wild flowers are used to the Irish weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

listermint wrote: »
    My robot mowers wheels gathered morning dew 2 weeks ago and the threads filled up with ice. The wheels lost traction due to the ice . Mower stuck insitu when I found it at 9am.

Wicklow.

First World problem:)

Advertisement