Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Painting over powdery old plaster

Options
  • 04-05-2019 8:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

Hi

Have been trying to paint a ceiling in a 1930-ish house. First tried wallpaper; it fell down. Then tried painting it with Paint For Troublesome Walls & Ceilings; large strips of paint were hanging down overnight.

Then emulsioned it. BUT that started hanging down in strips. Gradually I'm coming to the conclusion that the powdery plaster is the problem. It just won't hold anything. It didn't look bad when I gave it a quick wash before I started out on this exercise. I skimmed it with a damp sponge to get rid of cobwebs etc.

Now that I've had to remove hanging bits of paint with a scraper, I'm concluding the plaster is old and powdery, and that's the problem.

But what can I do, short of getting the ceiling re-plastered?

Thanks, wise people!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,161 ✭✭✭✭M5

Pva?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Stabiliser then a sealer ( either Bloxx It of BIN/Terminator) then paint as per normal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Stabiliser sounds like the thing! Is it just called 'stabiliser'?

(The gluey Problem Ceiling stuff just peeled away :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭dok_golf

Yeah, stabilising solution. Available in any decent paint shop.

Advertisement