Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can You Plant Yourself Under Grants Scheme

Options
  • 03-05-2019 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

If undertaking planting new forestry under the grants scheme can you plant it yourself and get it signed off on by a forestry agency or does the planting have to be done by a registered forestry contractor?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭timfromtang

bradygaz wrote: »
    If undertaking planting new forestry under the grants scheme can you plant it yourself and get it signed off on by a forestry agency or does the planting have to be done by a registered forestry contractor?

Hi Bradygaz,
    Yes you can do much of the work yourself if you can find a Forester who will supervise/sign off etc.

However I'd suggest that the planting crews who are out there who work for the forestry co's, are expert, efficient, and have very high plant survival rates. Of course you can hire these guys just like the forestry co's do. Or simply get some pointers and go to it, its not rocket science after all.

I take a lot of pride in the bit we planted ourselves back in 1996. The forestry co subcontracted some of the planting to my Dad and my brother and I helped to plant it. Worked out really well for me in fact as it was in this field I first laid eyes on my wife who was working for the forestry co at that time.

The bit we planted was diverse hardwood mix, Ash Norway and Field Maple Alder, Rowan mix. The plants were large, we pit planted into the mounds. We topped out at about 500 plants a day each and survival was as good as the planting done by the forestry co workers on the plot beside it.

The financial returns from Forestry come from the work that is performed on the site and the timber and grow exponentially down the chain of events from planting to final product. The more of this work that is done by the grower the higher his rate of return.
    For example felling, grading (pulp, stake, box/pallet, sawlog) and moving to roadside is worth 23-32 euro a ton in any thinning or clearfell operation.
    I was charged 29 a ton by a contractor jan 2019.

tim

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭$kilkenny

It can be done no problem, I have done it for a couple of clients in the last 2 years. You agree a price for with the forester to send in the application and organise the fencing and ground preparation. I say this as these are not straight forward to get done and expertise is needed here as there's a spec to work to.

You simply do the planting after a small lesson and work away. All the billing will be done directly to you so be careful of that, a couple of hectares can add up to thousands in expenses.

When the job is done, the forester signs off on the work and the owner the full grant and premiums. To save more Money do the maintenance on the plantation yourself and pay your forester to do a few inspections and keep up to date with it. After 4 years you can then claim the maintenance grant.

Just be prepared for hard work, planting is tough. Ideally get a few people to help you but it is highly rewarding and I would highly recommend it to any new forest owner who has time.

Advertisement