Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fitness tracker for 10 year old

• 03-05-2019 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hi

Could anyone recommend a fitness tracker for a ten yr old please.

Looking for something that tracks steps, and keeps track of steps - upload to an App.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

ellejay wrote: »
    Hi

Looking for something that tracks steps, and keeps track of steps - upload to an App.

I just got a Fitbit Ace for my 8 year old. the Fitbit Ace 2 is being released at the start of june.

Its a kids fitbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

You can get them quite cheaply on Groupon. My niece has one and loves it. It uploads to my sister’s phone. I can’t vouch for accuracy etc but it gets her moving. I’m looking at one for my 6 year old and I enquired about the fitbit but at €60+ I don’t think I’d spend it on him until I’m sure he really would keep wearing it.

I can recommend the honor band 3

you can get it here on amazon for 20 sterling - use parcel motel etc for cheaper delivery or £8 straight to ireland

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honor-Band-Activity-Tracker-Black/dp/B07BFW1HM8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=honor+band+3&qid=1556917690&s=gateway&sr=8-3

the true sleep tracking in particular on this is very decent

has steps and heart-rate also

on the phone you use the huawei health app

much better than the mi band 3 which would be it's main competitor

the strap should fit a smaller wrist but I can't guarantee it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Hi

A word of caution on fitness trackers, especially those that just measure steps: they don't result in any meaningful fitness or health change, and in some circumstances the have resulted in worse results vs a control group who didn't have one.

Personally I'd be hesitant to give a basic step counter to a child.
    If you really want to get them something in this area then I'd consier a more fully functional watch with GPS. They could track their running improvement over segments etc and keep it fun rather than focusing on hitting arbetary step goals.

https://www.wired.com/story/science-says-fitness-trackers-dont-work-wear-one-anyway/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

A word of caution on fitness trackers, especially those that just measure steps: they don't result in any meaningful fitness or health change, and in some circumstances the have resulted in worse results vs a control group who didn't have one.

Personally I'd be hesitant to give a basic step counter to a child.
    If you really want to get them something in this area then I'd consier a more fully functional watch with GPS. They could track their running improvement over segments etc and keep it fun rather than focusing on hitting arbetary step goals.

https://www.wired.com/story/science-says-fitness-trackers-dont-work-wear-one-anyway/

Studies cited in that article are years old for a start.
    That aside, I don’t know how you could argue that a device that prompts a user to be vigilant of how active they are, could be a bad thing! If they’re getting their steps in, they’re moving about! That’s a good thing.

Not to mention that encouraging a 10 year old to monitor their running performance is a bit unnecessary, They’re kids.

Apologies for drawing thread even more off topic by responding to an off topic post with an off topic response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Just my two cents on trackers for children, my neighbors young one (11) was a little over weight last year, not massive or anything but they got her a fit bit for Christmas as a lot of her friends were getting one.
    It has done her a world of good..loves hitting her target of 10,000 steps and definitely has made her a lot more active. She loves walking now and walks when she can .. regularly does a 5k run now as well.
    Different child completely... not obsessively into fitness or anything but now understands the importance of exercise and diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭mo_bhicycle

Studies cited in that article are years old for a start.
    That aside, I don’t know how you could argue that a device that prompts a user to be vigilant of how active they are, could be a bad thing! If they’re getting their steps in, they’re moving about! That’s a good thing.

Not to mention that encouraging a 10 year old to monitor their running performance is a bit unnecessary, They’re kids.

Apologies for drawing thread even more off topic by responding to an off topic post with an off topic response.

The studies are old, but that doesn't mean they're not relevant. The original request was about basic step tracking, which is what those studies were all about.

Having said that, it could be that the Fitbit social/leaderboard features make it better than the basic step trackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Kellygirl wrote: »
    You can get them quite cheaply on Groupon. My niece has one and loves it. It uploads to my sister’s phone. I can’t vouch for accuracy etc but it gets her moving. I’m looking at one for my 6 year old and I enquired about the fitbit but at €60+ I don’t think I’d spend it on him until I’m sure he really would keep wearing it.

Kellygirl would you mind finding out the make model please.
    I've received the Groupon emails but don't want something that falls apart after a month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Kellygirl would you mind finding out the make model please.
    I've received the Groupon emails but don't want something that falls apart after a month or so.

I just checked and it was the Getfit Pro. I don’t see it on Groupon myself now but maybe I’m not searching right or it was a deal that’s over. She’s very happy with it anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

Got my 9 yr old one of these, very happy with it...https://powercity.ie/product/94236

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/p/637006

Garmin Vivofit Jr 2 - got them for my kids - battery lasted well over a year and then was easily replaced - great app - lets you set challenges, or reward chores :) - got ours through Amazon as they were cheaper than on their own website.

ITDept wrote: »
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-IE/GB/p/637006

Garmin Vivofit Jr 2 - got them for my kids - battery lasted well over a year and then was easily replaced - great app - lets you set challenges, or reward chores :) - got ours through Amazon as they were cheaper than on their own website.

I was looking at those originally but they're stg£50.
    Hoping for something as good but cheaper.

glasso wrote: »
    I can recommend the honor band 3

you can get it here on amazon for 20 sterling - use parcel motel etc for cheaper delivery or £8 straight to ireland

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Honor-Band-Activity-Tracker-Black/dp/B07BFW1HM8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=honor+band+3&qid=1556917690&s=gateway&sr=8-3

the true sleep tracking in particular on this is very decent

has steps and heart-rate also

on the phone you use the huawei health app

much better than the mi band 3 which would be it's main competitor

the strap should fit a smaller wrist but I can't guarantee it!

Thanks Glasso, I'd a look at the review's, do you know if the app works on an iPhone or is for Android only.

Thanks Glasso, I'd a look at the review's, do you know if the app works on an iPhone or is for Android only.

app is on ios also.

as I said now sure about how the strap would fit a small wrist tho

I find the app very good personally

Advertisement