Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sprocket cover won’t back on saw...

Options
  • 02-05-2019 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭

Hello folks,

I have an issue with my saw... I took off the sprocket cover (is that what it’s even called?) at the side, to take off the chain.

It was harder than usual to take it off for some reason, but we got there...
    But - of course, it won’t go back on now... :(

What looks to me to be after happening, is the mounts have worn which should hold the coil or spring (not sure what you should call it) in the cover, so now they won’t fit back over the sprocket I guess is it?
    That’s what I think it is anyways...

I’ll be taking to the shop tomorrow, for a proper diagnosis... just wondering is this a common thing to happen?

It’s a Husqvarna 340, been a good saw and whilst it does me fine, this is making me wonder if things like this will start to happen now. So should I think about replacing maybe?

I don’t know how old it is, I wouldn’t have said it’s that old, but it probably is older than I think... 10+ years maybe?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Hello folks,

I have an issue with my saw... I took off the sprocket cover (is that what it’s even called?) at the side, to take off the chain.

It was harder than usual to take it off for some reason, but we got there...
    But - of course, it won’t go back on now... :(

What looks to me to be after happening, is the mounts have worn which should hold the coil or spring (not sure what you should call it) in the cover, so now they won’t fit back over the sprocket I guess is it?
    That’s what I think it is anyways...

I’ll be taking to the shop tomorrow, for a proper diagnosis... just wondering is this a common thing to happen?

It’s a Husqvarna 340, been a good saw and whilst it does me fine, this is making me wonder if things like this will start to happen now. So should I think about replacing maybe?

I don’t know how old it is, I wouldn’t have said it’s that old, but it probably is older than I think... 10+ years maybe?

Did you take it off with chain brake on?

You should be able to reset it. YouTube would be your friend

https://youtu.be/vYr-jU94yAI

He sounds like a tool but might solve your problem

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Did you take it off with chain brake on?

You should be able to reset it. YouTube would be your friend

https://youtu.be/vYr-jU94yAI

He sounds like a tool but might solve your problem

Ha - that looks like it could well be the issue... will give it a whirl tomorrow...

Thanks very much for that... :)

And if the chain brake band is worn (the brake won't work properly) or the cover is worn (it happens), I can recommend this part:

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Chain-Clutch-Brake-Sprocket-Cover-Fit-for-Husqvarna-340-345-350-353-359-Chainsaw/202453921428?hash=item2f2331ae94:g:SwcAAOSwxOVbsMak

I've fitted the same on a couple of saws and I can't find any fault with them. And I'm a fussy bastard.

Advertisement