Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Czar Plum tree issues

Options
  • 02-05-2019 1:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭

About 6 weeks ago I planted a number of fruit trees, bushes and shrubs.

couple of apple, pear, plum, blackcurrant, redcurrant, raspberry, blackberry, loganberry and gooseberry.

They all appear to be thriving (except for 1 blackberry bush but that is another story) but for 1 plum tree. Its a czar plum planted on the advice of the garden center and planted with a damson.

The Czar tree initially thrived and withing 2 weeks was full of blossoms but today I noticed its not looking well. I am not a pro gardener,, not even a decent hobby one.

I dug a hole, mixed soil with a decent quality compost, added feed and planted the trees 5 to 6 meters apart, staked them, watered them and watched. That's the summit of my skills so any advice appreciated. Pictures below
    plum1.jpg

plum2.jpg

plumclose.jpg

plumdamage.jpg

plumdamage2.jpg

plumleaves.jpg

plumtree.jpg

top%20damage.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

turn the leaves over and check for aphids.
    regarding damage to the leaves - we had a very windy weekend. some of the damage you see could be from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭blackbox

turn the leaves over and check for aphids.
    regarding damage to the leaves - we had a very windy weekend. some of the damage you see could be from that.

Totally agree with this - it doesn't look too bad to me. I'd be confident it will settle in. If leaves continue to be pale, give it a feed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

So you wouldn't be worried about the holes ???

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

Was thinking wind myself too

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Zenify

knipex wrote: »
    So you wouldn't be worried about the holes ???

Looks fine to me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The wind could've easily blown them against the thorns and torn them. They don't look "eaten" to me. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

OK.. Feeling better about it now.

Thanks to all.

Advertisement