Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The fuel thread

Options
  • 02-05-2019 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭

With the cost of motoring rising, I thought it might be a good idea to have a dedicated fuel discussion (sticky, mods?).

There’s two things that interest the motorist regarding fuel: the price per litre and, to a lesser extent, its quality. Some people swear by certain brands.

So (a) where’s the cheapest petrol/diesel/lpg in Clare and surrounds and
    (b) what do people know about its quality?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

(b) what do people know about its quality?

All fuel in Ireland comes through the same refinery in Whitegate as far as I am aware, so anyone who says one brand's petrol is ****e is talking out of where the ****e comes from. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

All fuel in Ireland comes through the same refinery in Whitegate as far as I am aware, so anyone who says one brand's petrol is ****e is talking out of where the ****e comes from. :pac:

Thanks. So what about the claim that some brands have for getting extra kms using their fuel?

Also, what I did hear about is some kind of 'diluting' petrol going on but of course no details as to how or what of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭Deagol

Not true at all, Whitegate has only capacity to refine about 40% of fuel needs for Ireland.

And does it occur that elements can be added after the refining process?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I'm not sure a regional forum is the best place to discuss national fuel refinery or needs or whatever, the motors forum has some brilliant discussion on the topic with some extremely knowledgeable posters.

Personally, I have a CircleK fuel card so I always buy my fuel there, I get 4c off the pump price. I usually get my fuel at the CircleK on the Clare Road in Ennis, it used to be a cent or 2 more expensive than the Applegreen up the road but now they 2 stations nearly always have the same price. If I'm buying fuel somewhere else I always try to buy for a name branded supplier, there's been so many stories of "dirty petrol" ruining cars that I'm not going to take the risk just to save a euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

The new agri place (Liffey Mills) in Ballymaley is often the cheapest around (not always…) and Hogan's down the road are matching them at the moment.

Circle K by McDonald's is €138.9 3/5/2019, whereas Applegreen is €135.5.

Something I've always wondered. How do you buy an exact litre of fuel? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement