Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help identifying plant & flower

Options
  • 01-05-2019 9:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi,

The following flowers are growing in a bed in my garden. It's not that clear from the photo but the flower heads are on a long thin stem and the base looks like a folded over reeds. I have searched online but haven't managed to identify them.

73704CFD-C1BF-4F0E-ADF1-E356882E7FD1.jpeg

This has also appeared this year in the midst of an Hypericum shrub that I cut right back. The only thing I can find that resembles these leaves is Sycamore? I have a very small front garden so not a suitable location for this if it is a Sycamore.

89860CEC-1224-4262-A2CF-08394BC087C3.jpeg

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

Hi,

The following flowers are growing in a bed in my garden. It's not that clear from the photo but the flower heads are on a long thin stem and the base looks like a folded over reeds. I have searched online but haven't managed to identify them.

73704CFD-C1BF-4F0E-ADF1-E356882E7FD1.jpeg

This has also appeared this year in the midst of an Hypericum shrub that I cut right back. The only thing I can find that resembles these leaves is Sycamore? I have a very small front garden so not a suitable location for this if it is a Sycamore.

89860CEC-1224-4262-A2CF-08394BC087C3.jpeg

Thanks

The first photo looks to me to be a type of white flowered allium and the second photo does look like sycamore to me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Nightingale

Thanks for that Macraignil - You are right about the Allium. In fact I can see that it is "Allium cowanii" / Neapolitan garlic Cowanii Group looking at the RHS website.
    This makes a lot of sense as I had thought in the past that they might have been some sort of spring onion as they had a bit of a pungent smell, but didn't give them any more thought until the flowers appeared this year.

Thanks for confirming the sycamore also - will have to figure out what to about that at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,059 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is nothing to figure out, just pull up the sycamore and bin it. They are a plague.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Nightingale

looksee wrote: »
    There is nothing to figure out, just pull up the sycamore and bin it. They are a plague.

Hi Looksee - I had no idea about them so I will just dig it out of there and dispose of it.

Thanks

Advertisement