Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game of Thrones cinematographer: it’s not me, it’s your TV settings

Options
  • 01-05-2019 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone get a decent picture last night I've 2 very good plasmas and swapped half way through as the picture was so bad on one. I'm blaming sky and not my TV's just curious did anyone get an excellent picture with something like an OLED and Sky Q.

From the Verge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vkus6mt3y8zg2q

Ooooh 2 very good plasmas, amazing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

It was perfect here, didn't adjust anything. I just watched it in the dark

PS Didn't Plasma go the way of the cassette tape about 10 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Plenty of OLED and Sky Q complaints going around. The broadcast quality is pish. I've only watch a 1080 rip, about 5 gigs iirc and the picture is good on my DX902 but there is still some definite black/grey banding in some dark scenes which I've never seen before with anything else. Your not going to get an excellent picture until the 4K disks are released.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea I'd like to watch it on blue ray, was shocked how bad it was.

It was perfect here, didn't adjust anything. I just watched it in the dark

PS Didn't Plasma go the way of the cassette tape about 10 years ago

Because people couldn't afford them not because they weren't better than 4k led nonsense. The bad ones a Kuro 500a, it's well able for dark scenes.

• Advertisement

Because people couldn't afford them not because they weren't better than 4k led nonsense.

No need to bite. He either doesn't have a clue or he's having a little joke, either way I'd leave it.

theteal wrote: »
    No need to bite. He either doesn't have a clue or he's having a little joke, either way I'd leave it.

I'd go with the first. It refuses to die so won't be changing until it finally goes bang.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Teddy Daniels

I have a benq 1080p projector on a custom painted wall and I watched a decent rip and in the dark. I thought it was the prettiest and most fun tv horror thriller episode I’ve ever seen. I also choked up when I realised what the baby bear lyanna (names after the great lyanna stark Jon’s mother ) show she was truly named right.

I stuck it on on the kitchen 42” el cheapo toshiba and it looked weary dark but I stuck it on sport mode and it was grand but that episode was designed to be seen on a projected screen in a cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

Defintely noticed a marked decrease in quality between the ads and the show itself.

*begin willy waving*

I watched this on my 120 inch 4k projector. The HD on sky usually looks decent enough on it. I found the show itself was pixilated a good bit.

It was really pixilated, wasn't so much the dark but the quality of the black. I thought my telly was broke it was that bad, like somebody took a paint brush to the black bits. Noticed it nearly from the start with the flames in buckets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Was looking forward to watching it , but I thought it was difficult to see the characters as it was shot so much in the dark .
    Even when the dragons were in flight it was hard to work out who was on top of each dragon .

Queen of Dragons said the next few episodes will be insane, find the biggest TV you can. If I swap out the 65 inch panny for something bigger I may join the nights watch, her indoors will completely lose it.

Does sky q do 5.1/7.1 surround. I've only the standard hd sky box.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Mod Comment

Moved here from Home Entertainment, more GoT audience here to enjoy the discussion.

Ritz.

• Subscribers Posts: 686 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

I watched a SkyGo Sky Atlantic stream via high speed fibre link plugged into the tv, thought the picture was ok, no real complaints, some of the battle bit hard to follow maybe, thought that was as intended. Then I downloaded a 5GB HD version last night and watched it again through the same tv, same brightness settings... big difference, could see a lot more. I won't be streaming it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

What did the cinematographer think we would be watching on? It was like watching a bootleg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭newport2

I watched the first 10 minutes on Monday morning and gave up. Large windows and no curtains in the room, struggled to make out characters. Watched it that evening after dark (same screen, same recording) and no problem. Even a small bit of light can make it difficult to see.

Queen of Dragons said the next few episodes will be insane, find the biggest TV you can. If I swap out the 65 inch panny for something bigger I may join the nights watch, her indoors will completely lose it.

Does sky q do 5.1/7.1 surround. I've only the standard hd sky box.

Sky Q does 5.1 I'm sure. I've only got NowTV (720P, stereo sound) hence I've resorted to getting 1080P downloads - 5.1 sound has been awesome in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭adam240610

Watched it with blackout blinds and no lights on in the room, was perfect even considering I have a fairly old plasma

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Gazzmonkey

Yeah bad quality, literally everyone I talk to about GoT mentions how dark & pixilated S08E03 looks :(

I have a Samsung OLED and it was watchable but still much darker than any previous episode, or any other show or film for that matter.

I tried it with the lights out but that made the pixilation more obvious so I'm downloading the 5GB HD version as I type this, hopefully that will look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

I watched on Now TV - which I don't have that much experience of using so I don't know if it's always like this - Picture was bloody awful with terrible pixelation and colour banding

Downloaded a torrent and rewatched lastnight, it was noticeably better but still quite muddy at times

• Advertisement

Gazzmonkey wrote: »

I have a Samsung OLED

Not to nitpick but there’s no such thing. I’m assuming you mean QLED which are known for their brightness but, except for the very top Q9FN model, dark performance is not going to be great.

Either way, it’s the source material and broadcast compression that’s the issue with GOT, I’ve no issue with the brightness but there are reports of colour banding and pixelation from even the highest end OLED model owners so nobody will see a perfect representation of the program until the disks come out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,267 ✭✭✭✭fits

We watched it in the dark on an old laptop and it was grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Watched it on Sky not Now (which is generally sh1te when I buy sports on it), at night in HD on a standard 50 LCD. They exist. It was fine. However I didn’t watch it for two days.

Pixelation indicates streaming issues, which can be server side, too much load on the servers?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,119 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

I watched the 2am version and the 9pm version on Sky Atlantic HD. Nothing fancy just a 32" LED.

Had no major issues with either BUT I did notice the second screening was noticeably lighter in the darker scenes.

So while I didn't have any issues myself it seems to me they did change something in a kind of acknowledgment that some people had issues.

The only answer is to burn down Sky's headquarters imo. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

Watched on 100in screen 4K projector it was stunning I felt like I was actually in hell in those last 20mins with the characters lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

It looked great on an iPad in the dark via nowTv. Saw a thing on facebook where they compared what was on TV with a brightened version. What I saw was like the brightened version.

Advertisement