Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiber Cabling Requirements for a New Build

Options
  • 01-05-2019 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Have an installation requirements query if not in the correct forum please feel free to move it.

As the title suggests I am in the process of building a new house.

In my parents house they have EIR broadband installed. This is done by bringing a fibre optic cable into a fibre modem in the house which then feeds the Wireless router.

As this is a new build I would like to put the fibre cabling in place during the first fix. This way there is no retro fitting the fibre cable by EIR Broadband.

My question is what type of fibre should I install?

It all seem so confusing lots of different options and variations Single Mode, Multi Mode (Different grades of multi mode)

Ideally looking for a pre-terminated solution that I can install in the telephone box and run back to the attic with the rest of my networking stuff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Hi Guys,

Have an installation requirements query if not in the correct forum please feel free to move it.

As the title suggests I am in the process of building a new house.

In my parents house they have EIR broadband installed. This is done by bringing a fibre optic cable into a fibre modem in the house which then feeds the Wireless router.

As this is a new build I would like to put the fibre cabling in place during the first fix. This way there is no retro fitting the fibre cable by EIR Broadband.

My question is what type of fibre should I install?

It all seem so confusing lots of different options and variations Single Mode, Multi Mode (Different grades of multi mode)

Ideally looking for a pre-terminated solution that I can install in the telephone box and run back to the attic with the rest of my networking stuff.

The fibre is single-mode with SC/APC connectors. You should provide ducting for the eir cable to enter your home from outside and you may need an SC/APC coupler to join your internal cable to the eir cable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/perfk-Singlemode-Multimode-Coupler-Insertion/dp/B07J2D1VDW/ref=sr_1_3?crid=21HBTH4Q4CS2J&keywords=sc+apc+coupler&qid=1556723893&s=gateway&sprefix=sc%2Fapc+%2Caps%2C121&sr=8-3

This would not be standard and some installers may take issue with doing it this way. Also be careful if you or an electrician is installing fibre cable. It is quite delicate and can't be handled like mains, coaxial or even Ethernet cable. Be vary wary about over bending or kinking it.

Alternatively you could just run Ethernet cable from your attic and let the installation proceed as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭stickman1019

Hi Navi;

Thanks for the reply I wil have a CAT6 going from the attic to the phone box.

I have attached some photos of my parents house installation.

Its my take from the installation that the black cable is fibre coming into the house which is then terminated inside and connected to a fibre / ADSL modem which then feeds the router.

Would you agree with the attached and above?

The WE Transfer link has a pdf of the install.

https://we.tl/t-KtMnbevme4

This is the type of installationI am looking to avoid i.e. I want to have all fibre termination done inside/the phone box.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

would I be right in saying that youre building a house on the same land as the parents house and that their fibre currently is strung from the pole on the road to the house in the air (not underground) ?

would I be right in saying that youre building a house on the same land as the parents house and that their fibre currently is strung from the pole on the road to the house in the air (not underground) ?

House is miles away from my parents place

Hi Navi;

Thanks for the reply I wil have a CAT6 going from the attic to the phone box.

I have attached some photos of my parents house installation.

Its my take from the installation that the black cable is fibre coming into the house which is then terminated inside and connected to a fibre / ADSL modem which then feeds the router.

Would you agree with the attached and above?

The WE Transfer link has a pdf of the install.

https://we.tl/t-KtMnbevme4

This is the type of installationI am looking to avoid i.e. I want to have all fibre termination done inside/the phone box.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

The black cable on the outside wall is fibre.

The "incoming eir cable termination" box is referred to as the ODP. It allows the black external cable to be joined to the flexible white fibre cable that emerges from it.

The "fibre to adsl" box is called the ONT. It converts the fibre signal to Ethernet. The Ethernet goes to the eir router. It needs power.

I am not entirely sure what you mean by the "phone box" where you want all this to take place. Do you mean the ETU on the external wall of the house?

https://www.goodwins.ie/products/Cable-Telecom-ETU-Box-Only-White.html

If so where do you intend placing the ONT mindful of the fact it needs power?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ahh ok, and can you get to the pole where the fibre is distributed from fairly handy ?

if so i'd just dig the trench and put some orange conduit with a rope in it from as close to the pole as you can get all the way in to rise out of the foundation in the utility room or wherever you want it terminated, be careful to keep all bends very wide as fibre doesnt like sharp corners, let eir supply and terminate the lot, just give them a rope to make it easy.

House is miles away from my parents place

Are you going to be in an area that is currently (or planned to be) served by FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭bunderoon

For Fibre cables, it's hard to beat this crowd. Got lots of various stuff off them over the last few months. No affiliation with them.

They can also make a custom length cable for you too.

https://www.fs.com/products/68837.html

Yes when I said phone boxi meant ETU. Thanks for the terminology help.

Essentially what I am hoping to do is a pre-terminated patch from the ETU to the attic where the the ONT will live.

Ethernet from the ONT to network swicth to distribute around the house.

From the looks of the below I wont be getting it anytime soon but I would prefer to have the infrastructure in place if it ever does ever come.

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

My parents house isnot shhownas covered on this map so not sure how accurate it is.

Thanks bunderoon for the reccomendation.

Navi is this cable suitable?? ( I will provide suitable mechanical protection via a conduit)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You only need ducting and a line to pull it through. You do not need to do what your are suggesting at all.

• Advertisement

Yes when I said phone boxi meant ETU. Thanks for the terminology help.

Essentially what I am hoping to do is a pre-terminated patch from the ETU to the attic where the the ONT will live.

Ethernet from the ONT to network swicth to distribute around the house.

From the looks of the below I wont be getting it anytime soon but I would prefer to have the infrastructure in place if it ever does ever come.

https://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

Thanks bunderoon for the reccomendation.

Navi is this cable suitable?? ( I will provide suitable mechanical protection via a conduit)

No it's not the correct cable. You need Simplex so this

https://www.fs.com/products/41918.html

or this which has steel in it so might be stronger if you're pulling it

https://www.fs.com/products/41655.html

The issue with this is you are inserting your own cable into the open eir portion of the network. Everything before the ONT is their responsibility. The installer can and might refuse to complete the installation. Just be aware of this.

Noted Navi;

thanks for all the replies and input think I have a fairly good idea of what I need to put in place.

What listermint suggested might be a better idea. The installers are not meant to go into attics at all but if you had a roped duct/conduit from the ETU to the attic you might persuade him to install in the attic especially if there is relatively easy access.

With your option he is going to have to go into the attic anyway to fix the ONT to a rafter or beam. Asking him to go into an attic and deal with third party cabling might be pushing it but it is up to yourself what you decide to do.

Best of luck with your new home.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If I was doing a new build I would create a 'media press' and bring the duct in to that where the fibre would terminate,
    The Router and ethernet cabling would all terminate there.
    If possible choose a central area for the media press from where distribution of ethernet and wireless would be most efficient.
    K&N seemed to have no problem bringing fibre into the premises in such a manner from my limited experience, especially when a pull rope is provided to the destination location and they have lots of room to work and power provided there.

There should be no need for the householder to get involved with fibre ..... unless they used fibre in place of ethernet distribution in the premises. I consider that a bit of 'overkill' presently, but it would be a very good idea to run the ethernet cables in such a way (though duct or pipe) that they could be replaced easily at some future point if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Commsguy

Just quick bit of advice. KN will be doing the install most likely and they work of price so will place the router in the easiest point for them. So you need to provide a point downstairs as someone else has said that is accessible for them. I don't know how far on you build is but I would then run cat6 to all the points your planning on having TVs or phones and maybe mount a small comms cabinet. You can also bring the TV cables back there also.but don't forget to run 5 TV cables to your attic for sky dish and TV aerial.

Advertisement