Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel Shed Snugness (40mm composite panel)

Options
  • 01-05-2019 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

Hi another steel shed question!

About to order a 25m2 steel shed as a workshop/home office. Going for one of those 40mm composite panel insulated buildings. Ill be in there 5 days a week so just want to be sure its comfortable to work in.

Wondering from anybody who has one, how comfortable do you find them ? ill be sitting at a desk and computer mostly, but shuffling about with some manual labour a fair bit too. do they heat ok, or get too hot in the summer? any regrets not going for a thicker mm insulation etc?

And would people recommend getting in the optional double skin clearlights that usually come with them? would be really nice to have one or two, but a little worried they might affect the overall quality of heat retention?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

I have a 60mm composite panel unit, used intermittently as a home workshop but glad I went for 60mm as opposed to 40mm. Remember these units aren't built to passivhaus standard so you will need some form of background heat source for the colder days. I have the clearlight rooflights- they are a compromise thermally, certainly, but they give great light which negates the need for using electric light some of the time- and it is hard to beat good natural light. I would recommend incorporating some insulation in the floor slab, this will improve thermal performance and comfort levels dramatically for relatively small one-off cost. Last summer (remember that heatwave!) I recorded a maximum temperature of 31 degrees in the shed, but I'm sure if I'd left the door and windows open, coupled with a fan it might not have got so hot. No problems any other summer!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,228 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

If you want to reduce solar gain in an insulated she'd you need to use a wood fibre based material, especially in the roof

http://www.greenspec.co.uk/building-design/decrement-delay/

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,714 ✭✭✭✭listermint

No offence but sounds like a horrible office. My father has one and I've been in it extensively repairing motorcycle and what not

I wouldn't ever want to be passively in it for long periods. especially not every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mrfool35

Mrfool35 wrote: »
    Hi another steel shed question!

About to order a 25m2 steel shed as a workshop/home office. Going for one of those 40mm composite panel insulated buildings. Ill be in there 5 days a week so just want to be sure its comfortable to work in.

Wondering from anybody who has one, how comfortable do you find them ? ill be sitting at a desk and computer mostly, but shuffling about with some manual labour a fair bit too. do they heat ok, or get too hot in the summer? any regrets not going for a thicker mm insulation etc?

And would people recommend getting in the optional double skin clearlights that usually come with them? would be really nice to have one or two, but a little worried they might affect the overall quality of heat retention?

Thanks, thats really helpful!

Advertisement