Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeding the cat

Options
  • 30-04-2019 9:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭

I've an odd one...maybe

We got a cat at the weekend from a rescue. Traumatised based on the stories i heard but settling in. She had kittens recently.

It wont eat on its own. Either myself of my wife have to be there for it to eat.
    Any ideas?

We've left it in the utility room and it stays in a corner but is happy to be rubbed and is responding to contact. Its engine is being turned on a lot easier :D

Bringing it to the vet on Thursday for vaccinations & worming. It got spayed last friday which looks like its healing nicely. She turned over for me to rub her belly.

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭twomonkeys

I think all you really need here is time.
    Kitty has been through a lot of upheaval recently and its only been a couple of days since you got her. The fact she is responding to you with purring and allowing you to stroke her is positive, she’ll gain your trust more and more as the days go on.
    Leave the door to the utility room open so she can venture out into the rest of the house when she feels brave.
    If you need to be with her to coax her to eat for the next week then so be it. Take the time and she’ll eventually become more confident. Leave food available at all times. The trip to the vet on Thurs may unsettle her again so be prepared for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

twomonkeys wrote: »
    I think all you really need here is time.
    Kitty has been through a lot of upheaval recently and its only been a couple of days since you got her. The fact she is responding to you with purring and allowing you to stroke her is positive, she’ll gain your trust more and more as the days go on.
    Leave the door to the utility room open so she can venture out into the rest of the house when she feels brave.
    If you need to be with her to coax her to eat for the next week then so be it. Take the time and she’ll eventually become more confident. Leave food available at all times. The trip to the vet on Thurs may unsettle her again so be prepared for that.

Agree totally. Time and patience and not stressing her. I am still working with two of the three rescues I took last Novemeber with various issues . Above all, let the cat make the pace. The one who was so traumatised she could not face going through a door now bellows to be let in! Sometimes a little dance, but nothing like she was at the start. Let her come to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Cat settling in and more proactive in getting a rub.
    I've postponed the vet till Saturday.
    It's eating anything I give it which is good.

Ventured to the kitchen door last night for a look in but retreated to its corner in the utility.

My wife is warning to it slowly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Cat settling in and more proactive in getting a rub.
    I've postponed the vet till Saturday.
    It's eating anything I give it which is good.

Ventured to the kitchen door last night for a look in but retreated to its corner in the utility.

My wife is warning to it slowly.

All sounds good! it reminded me of my Siamese breeding days. When I sold kittens, I gave an information sheet and one item was, " Provide a safe bolt hole for the kitten, make food and water available and let the kitten come to YOU."

I did not even try to touch these three rescues until they initiated contact. Now they are all seeking contact.

Advertisement