Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MyGolfSpy Golf Ball Testing

Options
  • 30-04-2019 9:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭

https://mygolfspy.com/most-wanted-golf-ball/

Really interesting read. I was really surprised that the chromesoft, the ball I play, was so low on all charts,the important ones for me being carry and deviation. . Compared to some balls I could gain 6-8yds while not losing anything around the green or on irons.

It's not huge gains but seems worth looking into.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 TwistFace

Thanks for sharing. I actually use Chromesoft myself as well (probably the cheapest of the elite ball category). I had noticed the odd time I've used a Titleist ProV1, it did seem to keep its line a bit better, not sure I noticed much on distance really. Maybe I'll start giving that a go - its just so expensive!! or maybe the Srixon ball. Whats your plan?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Another Chromesoft user here! Might pick up a box of something else to see if I notice any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Russman

TwistFace wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing. I actually use Chromesoft myself as well (probably the cheapest of the elite ball category). I had noticed the odd time I've used a Titleist ProV1, it did seem to keep its line a bit better, not sure I noticed much on distance really. Maybe I'll start giving that a go - its just so expensive!! or maybe the Srixon ball. Whats your plan?

I've often "felt" that about the Srixon Z-Star, that it holds its line in the wind really well. Obviously that's totally unscientific, but still.......kinda stacks up with what they found. Its funny, whenever I use the Pro V1 its probably the only time I never wonder am I sacrificing anything or do I need to chip or do anything slightly differently to normal.

The survey is a relatively poor reflection on the Chromesoft though, I'd say the Callaway marketing crew are having a bad morning :)
    Even though the actual values and differences aren't huge in absolute terms, to be judged as only "fair" can't be good for them.

I can only imagine the scramble in Callaway HQ this morning! They put a log of hype into the cover of the ball in the past year. Obviously Phil is using a tour only ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Another chromesoft(x) guy.

The tests with the chrome soft x - with driver a 115mph speed show a 10 yard carry increase with a pro v/pro vx. I'd like to think I'd have noticed that difference by now as I often use both balls during a round. I haven't been able to tell much difference between them.

• Advertisement

RoadRunner wrote: »

The tests with the chrome soft x - with driver a 115mph speed show a 10 yard carry increase with a pro v/pro vx. I'd like to think I'd have noticed that difference by now as I often use both balls during a round. I haven't been able to tell much difference between them.

I assume the robot they used was hitting it out of the middle each time though (not sure if it was mentioned anywhere). For the likes of us, a few mm towards the heel or toe would probably still feel good, but might just override any difference between the balls maybe ?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

This is utter nonsense unless you are in actual fact a robot.
    Same as club fitting.
    Handicappers are way too inconsistent for this to make any difference imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Or the most expensive of the nearly elite category based on these results...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'll buy a dozen/sleeve of either TP5x or Prov1x and see if I notice anything. I play my home course twice a week so it should be fairly obvious if the changes are there.

I used to lose 2-3 balls a round, now it's about one every 3 rounds so I don't mind another €10 a dozen if I gain a few yards.

This is utter nonsense unless you are in actual fact a robot.
    Same as club fitting.
    Handicappers are way too inconsistent for this to make any difference imo.

The fact is there is a possibilty for gains is good enough for me.

Don't agree with any of what you said but each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

I'd imagine it will be harder for me who doesn't always hit the same part of the club. I'll probably be wondering if it was just a better strike /delivery or the ball. If I'm in places in the fairway I've never been that will be a different story. I wouldn't be near 115 either, 105 flat out I'd say but honestly closer to 100ss on the course.

If you select both speeds it trys to give you numbers for the in between swing speed.

• Advertisement

Russman wrote: »
    For the likes of us, a few mm towards the heel or toe would probably still feel good

Hard to know :pac:

lifted-the-head.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

Snell MTBX now on back order due to overwhelming response to the report.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭benny79

It was a good read, my pro sent it to me yesterday and I hav been using the chrome balls all last year as I won vouchers first time using new balls for the whole year no wonder I didn't improve! :D and they hav gone up in price too.. good to see a cheapest ball like Snell do good.. petty they didn't review the seed balls..

dan_ep82 wrote: »
    I'll buy a dozen/sleeve of either TP5x or Prov1x and see if I notice anything. I play my home course twice a week so it should be fairly obvious if the changes are there.

I used to lose 2-3 balls a round, now it's about one every 3 rounds so I don't mind another €10 a dozen if I gain a few yards.

Don't agree with any of what you said but each to their own.

I'm going to go for ProV1x myself and report back. - Starting this evening! Best of luck with it!

Personally I'd worry more about not losing a ball rather than gaining 10 yards.

10 yards *might* shave off 1 stroke and I really stress the "might", not losing a ball is a guaranteed 2 shots off your card...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

GreeBo wrote: »

10 yards *might* shave off 1 stroke and I really stress the "might", not losing a ball is a guaranteed 2 shots off your card...

no it's not

It was time to pick up some new balls on amazon. Just about to click pay on the cromesoft-x's that I've been using and the memory of this ball test came into my head. Quick flick over to see the bridgestone tour bx ball is best on paper (and price was cheaper) so I'll pulled the trigger on 2 boxes of that instead. I'd imagine this test will have a fairly significant worldwide effect!

It'll be weird playing white balls again :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

It was time to pick up some new balls on amazon. Just about to click pay on the cromesoft-x's that I've been using and the memory of this ball test came into my head. Quick flick over to see the bridgestone tour bx ball is best on paper (and price was cheaper) so I'll pulled the trigger on 2 boxes of that instead. I'd imagine this test will have a fairly significant worldwide effect!

It'll be weird playing white balls again :eek:

How do you find the Bridgestones in comparison to the Chromesofts?

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

ronnie3585 wrote: »

I don't think he's had a chance to play with them in the 5 mins since he posted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

davegilly wrote: »
    I don't think he's had a chance to play with them in the 5 mins since he posted :)

Are they not the "fastest golf balls on tour"?

• Advertisement

ronnie3585 wrote: »

Currently I can only find chromesofts if I step on them in the rough :D

If the mygolfspy test above it to be believed then I'll gain an extra 15 yards through the air with them. I don't expect to, but it cant hurt to try them out.

I'll post an update after I've had some time with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Strokes gained from being a club closer to the hole should be shots saved over a period of time. 14 times in a round that u could be going for the green with a club less is maybe a shot or 2 a round.

You are less likely to loose a ball if u hit it shorter but 10 to 15 yards on a bad line won't really make any real difference.

mike12 wrote: »
    Strokes gained from being a club closer to the hole should be shots saved over a period of time. 14 times in a round that u could be going for the green with a club less is maybe a shot or 2 a round.

You are less likely to loose a ball if u hit it shorter but 10 to 15 yards on a bad line won't really make any real difference.

Yeah, the whole strokes gained thing is really gaining traction right now and allegedly throwing new light on previously held truisms. Its a complete change in mindset and interesting stuff.
    I think the difference here is that you probably don't know where in the round that shot or two might be saved, although by the same token you probably don't know where you would/might have hit one OB either by being 10 yards longer.

To get back OT, I'd say there will be good deals on Chromesofts coming up :)

Russman wrote: »
    Yeah, the whole strokes gained thing is really gaining traction right now and allegedly throwing new light on previously held truisms. Its a complete change in mindset and interesting stuff.
    I think the difference here is that you probably don't know where in the round that shot or two might be saved, although by the same token you probably don't know where you would/might have hit one OB either by being 10 yards longer.

To get back OT, I'd say there will be good deals on Chromesofts coming up :)

The point wasn't that an extra 15 yards will mean more lost balls, more that Dan should focus on not losing balls rather than hitting it 15 yards further.

The point wasn't that an extra 15 yards will mean more lost balls, more that Dan should focus on not losing balls rather than hitting it 15 yards further.

Ohh absolutely, but if, and its a very big if, a change in ball gives him 10-15 yards, its all good.
    But, I'd tend to go with "hit it far first, then straighten it out" if I was advising someone starting off. No idea if Dan is starting off or not, just in general !

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

If the mygolfspy test above it to be believed then I'll gain an extra 15 yards through the air with them.

And land them 15 yards further into the rough like me!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

benny79 wrote: »
    It was a good read, my pro sent it to me yesterday and I hav been using the chrome balls all last year as I won vouchers first time using new balls for the whole year no wonder I didn't improve! :D and they hav gone up in price too.. good to see a cheapest ball like Snell do good.. petty they didn't review the seed balls..

How was it petty? Is there a dispute or something?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

How was it petty? Is there a dispute or something?

I'd say he meant PITY

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I'd say he meant PITY

Lol that makes sense. I thought there was something juicy going on in the background :)

• Advertisement

charlieIRL wrote: »
    And land them 15 yards further into the rough like me!!!:D

Carry the rough :eek:
    and land OOB

Advertisement