Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost a friend to suicide

Options
  • 30-04-2019 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

My friend took her own life on Saturday.

I am overwhelmed by sadness and it is consuming me.

I have been in that dark place myself before so I can imagine the pain she must have been in.

Please tell me how I can cope with this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,034 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Sorry to hear your sad news, I am sure it has really hit you for six.

Important thing is to look after yourself at this time. Try to remember the happy times you had with your friend, talk to their family and share all the happy memories you have of them.

And if you need more help, don't be afraid to talk to your GP or seek out counselling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I am very sorry for your loss. In my humble and own experience I don't believe the is any short term solution. Rely on your friend and family for support. Be honest, and ask for support when you need it. The raw pain will decrease with time and be replaced with sorrow and eventually fond memories will join the sorrow. But in the meantime it's just terrible and ****. Let yourself grieve and seek support is all that I can suggest. I really am terribly sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

dreoilin wrote: »
    My friend took her own life on Saturday.

I am overwhelmed by sadness and it is consuming me.

I have been in that dark place myself before so I can imagine the pain she must have been in.

Please tell me how I can cope with this.

So so sorry that you have lost your friend in this way.
    It is heartbreaking to lose a loved one in any way but suicide can hit harder because it is a permanent solution to what could hopefully have been a temporary problem. I've lost friends in this way and I empathise deeply with what you are going through.

This website is a good place with lots of information and links to support groups.

http://www.suicideireland.com/

Don't be afraid to engage with these or face to face mental health support groups to help you to deal with this very difficult experience.
    Others around you may also be struggling but while it is right to want to help and support them if you can, you must try to ensure your health does not suffer excessively by taking on too much.

Try to remember your friend positively and know that they did not do this because of you or anyone else. Work could be a useful way to occupy your mind but maybe it would help to take a few days to try to recover just enough that you can deal with normal every day stuff.

Advertisement