Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

topsoil

Options
  • 29-04-2019 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭

Im mid way working through a garden renovation on our new home (not new house).

I am building some raised beds, just wondering if anyone had any recommendations re topsoil,
    I see it can be ordered from the likes of goodwins...
    '65% Screened Top Soil mixed with 35% Organic Compost' €70 incl vat
    https://www.goodwins.ie/products/Top-Soil-Compost-Mix-Bulk-Bag.html?name=top+soil&type=simple

or alternatively there is topsoil available on done deal with little to no info on it ..
    'Screened Topsoil- €30 ex vat in tonne bags'
    https://www.donedeal.ie/buildingmaterials-for-sale/topsoil/21617215

Is it a safer option to go with the likes of goodwins as in a better quality soil? I do want things to grow well, im not an avid gardener but will plant seasonal bedding plants and shurbs, small tree, maybe the odd bit of veg etc. It is a very small garden however.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

i bought mine from H E R E !

478990.jpg

478991.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Where are you? As top soil is sold by the tonne it's not cheap to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,294 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Free delivery in D15 from https://www.easygrow.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Adverts.ie is yer only man, its free on there the whole time. People are always giving it away. It might be variable quality but you could make that call when you see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Where are you? As top soil is sold by the tonne it's not cheap to move.

In South Dublin (12) yes I would be needing a couple of tonnes

Adverts.ie is yer only man, its free on there the whole time. People are always giving it away. It might be variable quality but you could make that call when you see it.

Yes Ive seen topsoil on adverts alright but there is no way I could facilitate taking it away myself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

As you are only going to do this once in all likelihood you might as well go for a home delivery of known screened soil. Sure it's not the cheapest method but you know what you're getting and will have paperwork for same if it spouts weeds :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Adverts topsoil is generally complete crud Subsoil or arable land unscreened. Dock leaves as big as your leg growing, or worse, nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

pwurple wrote: »
    Adverts topsoil is generally complete crud Subsoil or arable land unscreened. Dock leaves as big as your leg growing, or worse, nothing at all.

I got some absolutely great topsoil in Lucan on it. But I did look at some other first and said I only wanted a bagful it was such crap.

Advertisement