Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Colourful low cover that's safe for cats

Options
  • 29-04-2019 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

So, just planted some moss rose seeds around the base of an apple tree in a container we have - to discover moss rose is toxic to cats (we have two).

After I dig the seeds up (or probably just churn them deeper back into the soil) - does anyone have a recommendation for very colourful low-cover (ie, not growing more than 10cm) similar flowers that are cat-safe?

P.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Good luck finding plants that are not poisonous to cats. When i started looking into avoiding them, i gave up because the list is so extensive.

I was going to suggest Mexican fleabane as a nice groundcover that flowers for ages but what do you know, toxic to cats :pac::pac: I have it everywhere and i've had no problems. I think cats maybe know themselves what not to eat. They only seem to go for grass or grassy type plants in my garden or nepeta (catmint) which they adore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

It might get slightly higher than your preferred height limit particularly when it produces its nice flower heads around this time of year, but one of my favorite ground cover plants is ajuga. It comes in nice purple leaved and multicoloured variegated varieties that both seem to be fairly vigorous and the wikipedia page says they have been used medicinally for making tea so probably not a problem for cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have had several cats over the years and have never given the slightest thought to what is poisonous to cats. It has never been a problem.

The only exception might be cats that are kept as indoor cats and get bored, and chew on anything they think might be important to you, just out of boredom. So I would not keep cat poisoning plants and indoor cats together.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

looksee wrote: »
    I have had several cats over the years and have never given the slightest thought to what is poisonous to cats. It has never been a problem.

The only exception might be cats that are kept as indoor cats and get bored, and chew on anything they think might be important to you, just out of boredom. So I would not keep cat poisoning plants and indoor cats together.

Watch out for lilies, too - they could get poisoned just by brushing against their pollen and then cleaning themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Have you ever watched a cat sitting on a windowledge gazing down thoughtfully at a plant. Eventually they will chew off a fragment and spit it out. Then look around casually to see if this has been noted, and chew off another bit. Eventually you feed them or let them out. Job done.

• Advertisement
Advertisement