Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The best intensive Level 6 SNA/ ECCE/ pre uni teaching short courses?

Options
  • 29-04-2019 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask this!

I completed my Leaving Cert last year (with mostly higher level grades and all passes) and had been studying ECCE at Level 8 at university but was finding the course hard and hated uni life but so left halfway though First Year at the end of January (and have 30 credits from that).

I still want to work with children (ideally primary teaching but I wouldn’t be able for that) but the idea of doing a full-time academic course and being in a college environment doesn’t appeal to me so ideally I’d do an early years/ teaching assistant/ childcare apprenticeship but since they’re aren’t any of them here in Ireland, I’ve decided that maybe I could do a short Level 6 SNA or ECCE course, and came across Level 6 SNA ones by the Progressive College and the Portobello Institute that can be completed in one intensive week and has no formal entry requirements (the Portobello one says you must have done a Level 5 (which I haven’t done) but since I have a Leaving Cert and did a bit of ECCE at uni, I’d be hoping that that would be enough to get in)

Here’s the link to those particular websites and courses;

https://progressivecollege.ie/course/special-needs-assistant-training-qqi-level-6/

https://www.portobelloinstitute.ie/booking/specialneeds_l5_intenstive/

And I was just wondering is the Progressive College, the Portobello Institute, the Dorset College, the Chevron Institute and other places like them and their courses reputable and worthwhile and would they help me to get a job as a SNA/ classroom assistant or as an Early Years worker? I’m not complaining but it seems to be a very quick way of getting a Level 6 qualification compared to other places and I had never heard of most of those colleges so would want to be sure that I’d be doing a worthwhile and recognised course and that it would help me to get a job.

And would I have to source my own work placement for it or would that be imbedded into it?

The Progressive College SNA one is cheaper but only gives you a Level 6 component certificate whereas the Portobello Institute SNA one is dearer but gives you a Level 6 minor award.

So I’m just wondering what is the difference between these two awards and courses and other SNA courses offered by other places and which one would be the better one to do, the Minor Award or the Component Certificate (I know the major one is the best one but I can’t find any major SNA ones)?

And do ye know if I’d be able to get into a Level 6 course without having done a Level 5 one but having completed my Leaving Cert (mostly at higher level) and did one semester at college?

And could I use the credits I’d earn from them (I think each of those courses are only worth 15 credits each?) and the 30 credits I have from my time at uni to put towards a full Level 6 (or higher) major award in ECCE/Special Needs Assisting?

And is there any other intensive Level 6 ECCE/ SNA intensive short courses or apprenticeships (ideally in North Tipp or Limerick but I’d be willing to travel if not) that would lead to the same or better qualifications and recognitions?

I also like the idea of this kind of course but unfortunately I don’t think there’s any part-time/ intensive options, especially near me

Link; http://www.scfe.ie/pre-university-primary-and-post-primary-teacher-training/

And do ye have any idea of good and recognised First Aid and Sign Language courses that I could do along with them?

And what is the general duties, day-to-day life and pay for SNAs and ECCE workers like?

And just in general, is there any such thing as general classroom/teaching assistants in Ireland that just help out with the day-to-day running of the class and groups of people rather than just working with individual people or small groups of people? The classroom/ teaching assistants in the UK seem to be more general classroom helps so was just wondering was there anything similar here in Ireland?

Sorry for all of the questions, I’m just so clueless about the whole process and what each qualification actually means/represents so I want to make sure that I’m fully informed about everything involved with it all and go about it in the best way!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭bearamy98

Oh and would I need to have completed a Level 5 course before doing any of these Level 6 ones or would my Leaving Cert (which was all passes at mostly higher level) and my one semester at uni be enough to ‘qualify’ me to do a Level 6 course without having done a relevant Level 5 one first?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

OP do you want to work in childcare (ECCE) or work specifically as an SNA with children who have special needs?

AFAIK for ECCE you need a minimum QQI Level 5 Major Award in Early Childhood which can take a full academic year and includes a SN module. You could do it part-time or blended learning.

This site has information you might find useful.
    https://www.earlychildhoodireland.ie/work/education-training/qualifications/

Training and qualifications for SNA's are the QQI awards at L5 & L6 and they can be done as intensive short courses or part-time/distance. IIRC you could work as an SNA with L5. As part of the course assessment you need to get some practical experience.

You could also contact your local Childcare Committee who can give you great help and advice.

Hi, I’d be happy to work in either sector so that’s why I asked about both so that people from either sector could give their advice and opinions!

My preference would be to go straight into a Level 6 course that ideally would give me a major award rather than having to do a Level 5 one and then do a Level 6 one (doing one instead of two would save both time and money!)

Do you know is there any Level 6 Major awards for SNA (ideally through an intensive short course) or is there only Minor/Certificate Component ones?

And do you know is there any Level 6 Major award intensive short courses for ECCE or anything similar like that?

And do you know about who the best provider for Level 6 intensive SNA/ ECCE or similar short courses might be?

That’s a good idea about asking the childcare committee, I might do that tomorrow

Some links on the role of a SNA from dept ed & an autism support website.

https://www.sess.ie/sites/default/files/DES%20Circular_0030_2014.pdf
    https://asiam.ie/i-am-a-professional/the-role-of-snas/

Working in an ECCE service is different and many would not have a dedicated SNA. These are the qualifications that are recognised for ECCE.
    https://www.dcya.gov.ie/cat/EN/Childcare/2210.htm

Check the modules in the L6 programmes and see if the content matches the modules you got the 30 credits for in your uni programme. Most colleges have an RPL process.

ECCE programmes link
    http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=15j

Childcare programmes link (same content - just different titles)
    http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=15

SNA programmes link
    http://www.qualifax.ie/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=15

There are so many courses, you need to decide what type of work you would like to do first. Working with preschoolers is great but sometimes the work can be challenging and imo it's different to teaching primary age. Working with children with additional needs is different again.

If you're not sure, could you get yourself Garda vetted and do some voluntary work in a private or community creche for a few weeks. Contact the local pre-school officer for your area who might pass on your details (they usually know all the childcare providers) and your local primary or secondary school might let you help out with their SNA for a few days/weeks. Even if a course is short/intensive, you might spend money then find you don't like it.

did you consider Montessori? More structured than a typical preschool and nearer to "teaching" even though it is self directed learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭nothing

I think a minor award and a component certificate are the same thing.

• Advertisement

bearamy98 wrote: »

And do you know about who the best provider for Level 6 intensive SNA/ ECCE or similar short courses might be?....

Any course that is qqi accredited is good and will be on the framework so whichever course provider you choose is down to personal preference about location/cost/delivery method.

Thanks for all of those helpful answers!

My preference would be to work in a ‘teaching’ environment (either play school or primary school) and/or working with disadvantaged/suffering kids in an educational setting but at this stage when I'm only really starting out I’d be flexible enough with what courses I’d do.

I’d just want to be sure that I’d be doing the best recognised (and ideally short/intensive in length) course that awards me the highest possible qualification (ideally Level 6 Major awards and above but unfortunately they seem to be hard to come by, especially outside of Dublin)

I have considered Montessori but the courses are hard to come by around here and I’d be worried about the long-term job prospects

I already gave Garda vetting from my time at uni and also from my old part-time shop job so at least I’d be okay with that, but unfortunately am working quite irregular hours and nearly every day with my part-time shop job so mightn’t easily be able to fit in volunteering. Thankfully I did TY work experience in both a play school and a primary school so have some idea of what they’re like

Advertisement