Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tree/shrub in front of shed

Options
  • 29-04-2019 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm looking to get ideas for what to put in front of my shed as a screen?

Looking for something thats going to be low maintenance and wont overgrow the shed/block light out (so maybe goes to 6ft at most).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Is there a door or window in the side you are proposing to block? If there is, maybe think in terms of either a screen with a climber a distance away from the shed (allowing space to get equipment etc in and out. Or a large shrub placed between the house (window) and the shed just to block the view from the house.

If there is no door or window then you can plant fairly close to the shed - is it timber, will you need to get at it to paint/treat it? How long/wide is the space? You will likely need several, or maybe I am not correctly visualising the situation.

Does the area get sun? Having said all that there are lots of possibilities. For flowers you could consider weigela, ribes, berberis (prickly), cotoneaster, vibernum, buddleia (hugely improved by cutting down a lot of it to almost ground level each year, it will grow again very quickly each season), same applies to Leycesteria - lovely flowers but needs plenty of room. All of these are pretty much fool proof beyond some not very scientific regular pruning in the case of buddleia, Leycestaria and Ribes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

Sorry, when I said in front of, I meant at the side of the shed, but between the shed and the rest of the garden. Its a steel shed too. Gets some sun from mid afternoon onwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Bamboo is hard to beat in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,016 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users Posts: 28,113 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That's a serious piece of work! It would be my preferred solution, given that its a metal shed. Though I wouldn't put anything more substantial than a clematis (not montana) on the trellis - some wires on the framework would have been more durable I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

how heavy are those metal sheds? Would 2/3 lads lift and move an empty one (6ftx4ft size)? Thinking of repositioning it in the garden while I'm at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

daheff wrote: »
    how heavy are those metal sheds? Would 2/3 lads lift and move an empty one (6ftx4ft size)? Thinking of repositioning it in the garden while I'm at it.
    I helped my brother rebuild a similar shed which he brought with him when he moved house. He had dismantled it into sections i.e. the four sides and the roof panels. Each side was a really heavy lift for two average size guys and if there had been space to carry it through his side passage it would have been preferable to have four people lifting the sections.

Advertisement