Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grass

Options
  • 28-04-2019 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭

Would appreciate some advice as to how I even begin getting this back to something respectable? It’s outside my neighbours but they have no interest in it so I’d like to sort it, any tips welcome,

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Scratch it over with a rake and throw some lawn repair seed from woodies over it.
    Bigger question is how it got like that and how do you stop it happening again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

You wont get rid of dandelions and scutch grass with a rake.
    If it was mine, I'd wait for a dry spell and spray on some roundup. Then after a few weeks sow grass seed.
    If it was local council property, I'd think twice about doing anything.
    Though I might do as above anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭maxamillius

It’s a disaster, neighbours are lovely but they have zero pride in how the outside looks. I only moved in last year so need to get it sorted.

Is it likely to be something the council should be looking after?

Is it likely to be something the council should be looking after?
    Probably, but should and would are two different things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Our residents committee started putting Roundup on some weeds along the wall next to our park. Local dog-walker came up and said she'd sue us if her dog got sick from it. So we rang the corporation and asked what should be done. They said its illegal to spray weedkiller on public areas, but in fairness they came out with their weed flame thrower.

• Advertisement

Might drop them a mail and ask them to come sort, won’t hold out much hope but worth a shot.

If they don’t then I’ll just go at it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

_Brian wrote: »
    Scratch it over with a rake and throw some lawn repair seed from woodies over it.
    Bigger question is how it got like that and how do you stop it happening again.

There looks to me like there is a trunk of a relatively mature tree in the middle of that area which will dry out the ground and shade it and so make it very unlikely to support a lawn of standard grass. This linked article lists a number of plants that are more suitable to grow in this type of situation.

If the land is not yours you should talk to all of the nearby residents and those closest to the weedy patch of ground in particular and try to reach a consensus as to how you would like to improve this area. In Cork city recently I have noticed there is some community group that has been planting up patches around the city like this with flowers and even putting in containers of flowers where there is space available. Maybe your local council can advise if there is such a group in your area and if not set you straight on their policy for local residents improving areas like this near where they live. Levering out the dandelions with a trowel would not take very long and once something that is suited to the environment of growing under a tree gets established it will be much easier to keep the area looking well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,720 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Might drop them a mail and ask them to come sort, won’t hold out much hope but worth a shot.

If they don’t then I’ll just go at it myself.

I recently revived lawn in a rental house, where tenant had let lawn go. It was full of weeds and patchy.

Raked off debris and a few days later sprayed with Graze On; it's a weed killer used by dairy farmers with paddocks primarily which doesn't kill grasses.

I then spread some grass seed in patchy areas.

It's a much improved lawn now, without the hassle of round up and digging up entire lawn.

It would at €60 or so for a litre be expensive for that piece of ground however.

I wouldn't be digging anywhere near a minipillar(or is that a gas meter?)either

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is it just me, or does it look reasonably unobjectionable in that photo?
    as macraignil points out, you're not going to get a lawn there. planting something other than grass would be easier i'd guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I’d spray it off and put down a weed mat and cover in mulch.waste of time putting in grass in my opinion.be careful near that electric box there’s mains there.
    Tbh I wouldn’t do it unless it was outside my own house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The last place I lived had ~20 year old trees planted in the verge and perfectly good grass running right up to the trunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Be very careful if your doing any digging there, they're WILL be shallow Cables at the front of that mini pillar, and it's likely they won't be protected in a duct.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Flipperdipper

Plant loads of dandelions in the bare patches. major source of food for honey bees and other pollinators. When you think about it, dandelions are just attractive yellow flowers with nice foliage that we've been brainwashed into disliking.

Plant loads of dandelions in the bare patches. major source of food for honey bees and other pollinators. When you think about it, dandelions are just attractive yellow flowers with nice foliage that we've been brainwashed into disliking.

The young leaves can be used in salads as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Funny you say that. Was just admiring how the seed head looks and how resilient they are to my lawnmower . Little buggers :)

Thanks for all the reply’s, I’m an electrician so know the dangers of the mini pillar.

If I’ve understood correctly are some of you suggesting I plant flowers here instead of trying to grow grass?

I recently revived lawn in a rental house, where tenant had let lawn go. It was full of weeds and patchy.

Raked off debris and a few days later sprayed with Graze On; it's a weed killer used by dairy farmers with paddocks primarily which doesn't kill grasses.

I then spread some grass seed in patchy areas.

It's a much improved lawn now, without the hassle of round up and digging up entire lawn.

It would at €60 or so for a litre be expensive for that piece of ground however.

I wouldn't be digging anywhere near a minipillar(or is that a gas meter?)either

Is that the gazon rooster stuff? Saw an add on Facebook for it, I think?

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

I’d spray it off and put down a weed mat and cover in mulch.waste of time putting in grass in my opinion.be careful near that electric box there’s mains there.
    Tbh I wouldn’t do it unless it was outside my own house.

Any cables are going to be at least 2ft (60cm) deep if they have been installed by professionals.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

macraignil wrote: »
    The young leaves can be used in salads as well.
    Don't think I'd risk eating dandelion leaves from the base of a tree on a public footpath, that angry dogwalker mightbe around again:)

There looks to me like there is a trunk of a relatively mature tree in the middle of that area which will dry out the ground and shade it and so make it very unlikely to support a lawn of standard grass. This linked article lists a number of plants that are more suitable to grow in this type of situation.

If the land is not yours you should talk to all of the nearby residents and those closest to the weedy patch of ground in particular and try to reach a consensus as to how you would like to improve this area. In Cork city recently I have noticed there is some community group that has been planting up patches around the city like this with flowers and even putting in containers of flowers where there is space available. Maybe your local council can advise if there is such a group in your area and if not set you straight on their policy for local residents improving areas like this near where they live. Levering out the dandelions with a trowel would not take very long and once something that is suited to the environment of growing under a tree gets established it will be much easier to keep the area looking well.
    Thanks for all the reply’s, I’m an electrician so know the dangers of the mini pillar.

If I’ve understood correctly are some of you suggesting I plant flowers here instead of trying to grow grass?

There are a number of plants that are on that list of plants I posted suitable for growing under trees that do have flowers that would be good for pollinators which are under pressure currently from a number of environmental issues. I was suggesting going for some of the plants on the list on the basis that it would be easier to grow those in the area in the picture because of the existing mature tree there which make it not very suitable as a place to create a lawn in my opinion. If you pick some plants from the list that have flowers that would be a better idea than growing a lawn which I don't see any function for on such a restricted patch of ground. Grass is good for playing sports on but would just be a bit pointless in that space between the tree and the services box and the kerbside. I have seen similar areas in mature residential area where the residents have planted the space up with flowers and it looks much better than a little patch of grass.

Some posters have recommended using herbicides on the ground there where they would be taken up by the tree and probably kill it leaving you potentially liable for any damage caused by it falling over or the cost of removing it.

• Advertisement

There are a number of plants that are on that list of plants I posted suitable for growing under trees that do have flowers that would be good for pollinators which are under pressure currently from a number of environmental issues. I was suggesting going for some of the plants on the list on the basis that it would be easier to grow those in the area in the picture because of the existing mature tree there which make it not very suitable as a place to create a lawn in my opinion. If you pick some plants from the list that have flowers that would be a better idea than growing a lawn which I don't see any function for on such a restricted patch of ground. Grass is good for playing sports on but would just be a bit pointless in that space between the tree and the services box and the kerbside. I have seen similar areas in mature residential area where the residents have planted the space up with flowers and it looks much better than a little patch of grass.

Some posters have recommended using herbicides on the ground there where they would be taken up by the tree and probably kill it leaving you potentially liable for any damage caused by it falling over or the cost of removing it.

Yep that makes a lot of sense, would I need to dig up all of the soil and put down new top soil then plant? Sorry have absolutely zero experience with gardening.

Yep that makes a lot of sense, would I need to dig up all of the soil and put down new top soil then plant? Sorry have absolutely zero experience with gardening.
    No.
    Your best bet is to make contact with the local tidy towns group or residents association. You would pick up more knowledge on this subject, and they would be glad to have you. Put in as little or as much time as you want.

Also if anyone complains about you tampering with public property, you'd have an alibi ;)

Apologies not required. I think what you are talking about doing is a great idea.

No need to dig up all the soil I would reckon. I would just use a trowel to lever out the weeds when I have found something good to plant.

I think you need to pick things that are fairly robust to be able to survive on the side of the street. Passing pets will not necessarily respect your efforts to make your area nicer. Some of the shrubs on the list I posted might be a better option but you may need to trim these in time to keep them tidy as well. That would still be less work than cutting a lawn. If you are planting more herbaceous flowers it would probably be better to go for ones that you can get cheaply or for free in case they do get damaged.

I think it is essential before planting to check with as many of your neighbors as you can just to confirm they are not completely against what you are doing and with any luck you may find some that have more experience in gardening and can help with the project. It could be a great way to get to know some of your neighbors and if they have their own garden they may be able to give some plants for the project for free as many are easy to propagate. Old container plants will often have a second lease of life when put in the ground so you may even get some flowers for the project that some one else might be just throwing out when they are replanting containers.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Any cables are going to be at least 2ft (60cm) deep if they have been installed by professionals.

Incorrect for the footpath and locally around a mini pillar, op said he is an electrician so will know the risks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

Stick the mower on a high setting run over it... job done.... :cool:

The roots of that tree are breaking through the surface ... it'd not be fun to try plant things.

Just went over it with the mower, looks a bit better but still terrible, might try some grass seed and see how that fairs out.

Would heather grow here does anyone think? It looks nice and colourful.

Advertisement