Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weed killer for lawn and dog safe?

Options
  • 28-04-2019 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭

I'm a complete gardening novice and trying to get rid of the weeds in my garden. I've pulled up the weeds but they're so deep rooted that I couldn't get the whole root. I think I should pour some root killer down to treat the roots.
    I've looked around and can't see a weed killer for lawns that is also pet friendly. My question is do they exist? Or, do you know of a another way of treating lawn weeds?

Note: don't want to use Roundup or similar products.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ClubDead wrote: »
    Note: don't want to use Roundup or similar products.
    you mean you don't want to use a synthetic herbicide?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

you mean you don't want to use a synthetic herbicide?

I guess?! Like I said, I'm a newbie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Round up would kill the grass as well, for a start.

Weedol Lawn Weed Killer is watered in or sprayed on and is safe as soon as it has dried.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ClubDead wrote: »
    Or, do you know of a another way of treating lawn weeds?
    one option is living with them. or frequent mowing to keep them weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭donaghs

Weedol sounds like the right solution is you really have to destroy non-grass plants.

But i think we'll eventually have to reach a point where we can live with "weeds" in grass, and don't feel the needs to dump poison onto the lawns and, and eventually into the drainage system.

"Wear protective gear including gardening gloves, overalls, face mask, eye goggles, and boots.
    Keep container securely closed in a safe place at room temperature.
    Do not let children or pets enter the treated area until the spray is dry.
    Dispose empty containers at a hazardous waste centre or civic amenity site.
    Don't compost the next lawn clippings, they retain active heribicide, and should be left on the lawn as mulch."

• Advertisement

donaghs wrote: »
    But i think we'll eventually have to reach a point where we can live with "weeds" in grass
    we're already at a point where we can live with weeds in grass.
    the trend for having a perfectly manicured lawn kinda grew from aspiring to show that you could afford it - it used to be the case that lawnmowers needed a team of two to operate, so only the rich could afford it, so became a way of displaying how well you'd done.
    (source on that is 'the forgiveness of nature' by graham harvey, which is a great read. not sure if it's still in print)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭ClubDead

donaghs wrote: »
    Weedol sounds like the right solution is you really have to destroy non-grass plants.

But i think we'll eventually have to reach a point where we can live with "weeds" in grass, and don't feel the needs to dump poison onto the lawns and, and eventually into the drainage system.

"Wear protective gear including gardening gloves, overalls, face mask, eye goggles, and boots.
    Keep container securely closed in a safe place at room temperature.
    Do not let children or pets enter the treated area until the spray is dry.
    Dispose empty containers at a hazardous waste centre or civic amenity site.
    Don't compost the next lawn clippings, they retain active heribicide, and should be left on the lawn as mulch."

A perfectly manicured lawn is not what I'm aiming for...my lawn (both back and front) is about 2/3 weeds and moss. The grass is strangled by them. I'd just like to get them under control.
    I hate the idea of using herbicide's too, but its so bad that I don't think I can manually pull them all.....the roots are so deep that I just can't reach them all.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just feed the lawn a few times a year then aerate and scarify in the autumn (if you want). I've been using Lawn Gold I think it's called and the grass is starting to out-compete the moss. I'll always have some weeds but that's no harm as I'd rather have a few daisies and dandelions for the bees than have only grass.

I mow once a week and don't skin the lawn but leave a couple of inches of grass so it stays nice and green.

there are a couple of products which are a fertiliser and moss killer, without actually using herbicides - they use a bacteria which (in theory) digests the moss and returns it to the soil. mo bacter is the one which is probably best known, but there are competing products (osmo i think is one).

Advertisement