Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Courses near Killarney

Options
  • 27-04-2019 7:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭

I’m going to Killarney in a couple of weeks and hoping to get a round in with my dad. He is a GUI member but I’m not so not sure if I’ll get a discount at any of the courses. Any suggestions on where to play? It has to be on the Saturday. Teetimes have Ring of Kerry at €60 which is about as much as I’d pay for a round but not sure how it compares for value with other courses around

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

tobsey wrote: »
    I’m going to Killarney in a couple of weeks and hoping to get a round in with my dad. He is a GUI member but I’m not so not sure if I’ll get a discount at any of the courses. Any suggestions on where to play? It has to be on the Saturday. Teetimes have Ring of Kerry at €60 which is about as much as I’d pay for a round but not sure how it compares for value with other courses around

If you haven't played it before then Ring of Kerry is well worth the 60 euro and the short drive from Killarney. The course is very well maintained and the scenery looking over Kenmare Bay is simply awesome.

You will need to hire a buggy because it's a steep course but they are cheap, the restaurant do very nice food too, great steaks, huge burgers and top class pizza.

Killorglan is another option only a short drive away, might be a bit cheaper and a more forgiving course but doesn't match Ring of Kerry in my opinion. Plenty of other courses in or near Killarney.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭davegilly

Kenmare GC have a few rounds for €34 on a Saturday in May. You can find the times on the Golfnow app.

Never played there so can't comment on how good it is but the rack rate is €55 so it can't be too bad surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭plumber77

Beaufort golf club just outside Killarney is a good value option. Open singles every Friday for 25e as well. Ring of Kerry although a decent course; not worth 60e in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭tvercetti

A lot depends on how much you want to spend and how far you want to travel.

Killorglin, Castleisland and Kenmare would all be decent cheap enough options and about 30 minutes away but Beauforts a few miles out the road and at a similar level to them.

I always liked Ring of Kerry(45 minute drive) although it is challenging. Mahonys Point would be a similar enough price and is in Killarney but more forgiving.

Expensive options would be Dooks(35 mins away) and Killeen which is in Killarney.

Theres a few 9 holes scattered around Killarney too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,846 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

If you haven't played it before then Ring of Kerry is well worth the 60 euro and the short drive from Killarney. The course is very well maintained and the scenery looking over Kenmare Bay is simply awesome.

You will need to hire a buggy because it's a steep course but they are cheap, the restaurant do very nice food too, great steaks, huge burgers and top class pizza.

Killorglan is another option only a short drive away, might be a bit cheaper and a more forgiving course but doesn't match Ring of Kerry in my opinion. Plenty of other courses in or near Killarney.

how do you know?
    what one man needs, is not necessarily the same as everyone else
    I for one prefer to stay away from buggies as often as possible.

maybe you should recommend it rather than tell him it's a requirement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

'The Ross' is a decent 9 holer. There are some very interesting little holes out the back of the racecourse, right in the centre of Killarney.

https://killarneyraces.ie/dining-membership/ross-golf-club/

Beaufort is grand, ring of kerry are grand, but I'd sooner play the ross if its just a game of golf 'to get out'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

plumber77 wrote: »
    Beaufort golf club just outside Killarney is a good value option. Open singles every Friday for 25e as well. Ring of Kerry although a decent course; not worth 60e in my opinion.

Looks like we're going with Beaufort alright this Saturday. Weather is looking good if a bit cold.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

Seve OB wrote: »

how do you know?
    what one man needs, is not necessarily the same as everyone else
    I for one prefer to stay away from buggies as often as possible.

maybe you should recommend it rather than tell him it's a requirement
    Lol.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭plumber77

Looks like we're going with Beaufort alright this Saturday. Weather is looking good if a bit cold.

Good stuff. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

you wont be disappointed, really nice course

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Eoinyh

slingerz wrote: »
    you wont be disappointed, really nice course

How do you know?
    He might be really disappointed and think it's the worst course he ever played
    Maybe you should say " I hope you are not disappointed"
    I for one would be disappointed

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

Geography was never my best subject at school and sure with sat navs and Google maps these days it's gotten worse but Castlegregory is a fantastic 9 hole course,(different tees on back 9) is one you should look up, inexpensive and clubhouse, volunteer run by the members has lots of homemade goodies for you to feast on afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Beaufort is ok just watch out for the hotel

Eoinyh wrote: »
    How do you know?
    He might be really disappointed and think it's the worst course he ever played
    Maybe you should say " I hope you are not disappointed"
    I for one would be disappointed

How do you know?

He might like to be disappointed.

Who are you presume he plays golf to enjoy himself?

I for one hate golf and only play it to torture both my body and soul.

"What one man needs is not necessarily the same as everyone else", a very wise man who knows way more stuff about golf than you once said that.

Maybe you should think about your life and chastise yourself?

Golfhead65 wrote: »
    Geography was never my best subject at school and sure with sat navs and Google maps these days it's gotten worse but Castlegregory is a fantastic 9 hole course,(different tees on back 9) is one you should look up, inexpensive and clubhouse, volunteer run by the members has lots of homemade goodies for you to feast on afterwards

Castlegregory is a lovely links course and only about 45 mins drive from Killarney.

Beautiful unspoilt views not only on the course but on the drive to it, it never seems to be very busy either.

Highly recommend a visit to Spillane's Bar and Restaurant afterwards to anyone who hasn't been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭jtown

Hi Tobsey - Send me a DM please and ill have a look at the tee sheets

• Registered Users Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Castlegregory is a lovely links course and only about 45 mins drive from Killarney.

Beautiful unspoilt views not only on the course but on the drive to it, it never seems to be very busy either.

Highly recommend a visit to Spillane's Bar and Restaurant afterwards to anyone who hasn't been there.

While I agree it is a lovely course it is not in great shape at the moment. The layout is beautiful with superb par 3s but I was there last week and the 7th fairway is basically a big bunker that you have to tee it up on to hit your second shot. Now I know they can't do much about it due to location, topography, finances etc but the greens were really poor too and in dire need of being cut. Used to love playing there back in the day so hopefully they will be able to overcome these issues. It has the potential to be one of the best 9 hole courses in the country

Advertisement