Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family thinks I have mental issue

Options
  • 25-04-2019 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

So, about two weeks ago, I was admitted to the hospital for drinking de-icer/windshield washer fluid which contains methanol and ethylene glycol (compound in antifreeze). It wasn't a suicide attempt definitely but rather a cheap substitute for alcohol. I realize how dangerous it could have been but I had been drinking the stuff for a week and suffered no ill effects. I was only taken to A&E because a classmate noticed a bottle and told the principal

I was treated with an antidote which is quite pricey (€500-800 per gram) and received probably about 6-7 grams of the stuff. I'm under my parents insurance and don't think they'll be too pleased.

The bigger issue is though that people seem to think that I have an issue with drug abuse and/or self harm. It isn't the latter because I wasn't suicidal but I can say I'm desperate for alcohol. They recommended some alcohols upport services but I don't see the point as I'm doing my LC and as well, they cost money to attend which I have none at the moment. I also saw a psychiatrist in the past who said he can't see me again as he believes I have no issue.

I'm a bit confused whom to believe. On one hand some people say I'm fine (including my mother who I have the suspicion thinks that this was an attention seeking behavior) but on the other hand I have the principal and a few doctors who think I'm mentally insane.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭lalababa

There's a old I think Irish saying "if 7 people tell you you are sick...then you are" or something like that...ha..ha.
    Seriously though you seem to have a massive alcohol dependancy, i.e. some kind of alcholism, which is a disease. Alcoholism can often be self medication for an underlying mental health issue/ self harm/ self esteem.
    So I'd be talking with my doctor / phychitrist pronto and joining AA or do whatever advice I'd get from doctor to deal with my drinking problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭EarlyStorms

Nobody on the internet can diagnose you but you've clearly got an underlying issue if you're drinking de-icer and bringing it to school with you. You've become dependent on alcohol for some reason and you'll have to seek help for that because it'll only get worse in the long run. Look after yourself and knock the de-icer drinking on the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

That stuff will burn the lining of your throat and stomach. Bad bad business.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Op, not often I'd be this blunt in any advice I offer but I have noticed a certain in your posting since I 1st came across you over the last few weeks.

Step away from the keyboard, don't mistake interaction on a forum or social media for actual healthy social interaction.
    Seek appropriate help, talk to your GP and request a referral to a mental health professional.
    Luckily you mention in your OP that you have private health insurance.
    That will allow you to gain rapid access to the most appropriate diagnostic and support services.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

With all due respect, if you are drinking de-icer/windshield washer fluid .. then You have a problem.

Listen to your parents..

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

banie01 wrote: »
    Op, not often I'd be this blunt in any advice I offer but I have noticed a certain in your posting since I 1st came across you over the last few weeks.

Step away from the keyboard, don't mistake interaction on a forum or social media for actual healthy social interaction.

What do you mean by this?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

What do you mean by this?

Exactly what he posted.

This is not real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭noubliezjamais

endacl wrote: »
    Exactly what he posted.

This is not real life.

What's the alternative? don't have anyone to talk to and just either studying or on online forums.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

OP

You are not stupid. One can tell from your other posts across Boards. You know that drinking wind-screen de-icer is not within the bounds of normal behaviour.

I don't know whether you are embellishing your post or have left out some details but if you were drinking ethylene glycol for a week then you are very lucky to be alive.

The internet is not the place to establish whether or not you have a mental health problem. I would encourage you to seek professional help for your issues.

Thread locked

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement