Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N24 - Piltown bypass upgrade [under construction]

Options
  • 25-04-2019 5:29pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Kilkenny County Council pushing ahead with a safety upgrade on the 2+1 N24 Piltown bypass

Including:

Closure of the Ink Bottle Junction
    A new link road between the Ink Bottle junction and the Tower Road junction
    The installation of a roundabout at the Tower Road junction
    1km of 2+1 to 2+2 upgrade

https://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/south-kilkenny/378083/kilkenny-death-road-safety-plan-moves-forward-for-n24.html
    Post edited by spacetweek on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

good news ,it very unsafe ,any chance it could be all turned into 2+2 in time

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

steeler j wrote: »
    good news ,it very unsafe ,any chance it could be all turned into 2+2 in time
    I would be optimistic that the whole lot will get the 2+2 treatment as part of the N24 Cahir-Waterford scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

marno21 wrote: »
    I would be optimistic that the whole lot will get the 2+2 treatment as part of the N24 Cahir-Waterford scheme.

You think the N24 scheme will be an online upgrade for a significant portion of the route? Online dualling like the A8 from Larne?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/305746.htm

Kilkenny Council have lodged a CPO with An Bord Pleanala for this.

CPO confirmed without modifications by An Bord Pleanala

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/305746.htm

• Advertisement

You think the N24 scheme will be an online upgrade for a significant portion of the route? Online dualling like the A8 from Larne?

Very late reply.

My guess is just the Cahir and Piltown bypasses, as these are relatively modern constructions and both full bypasses.

The rest would presumably be online. There isn't much of the existing route able for upgrade anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

This thread has been asleep for a loooong time.

Works are progressing nicely here :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,963 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Thread title updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,716 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Regarding the N24 south of here, KCC confirmed CPOs along the stretch as far as Mooncoin last year;

That will obviously involve a combination of on- and off-line upgrade. Those works should be combined with upgrading the existing road to 2+2 as far as Pilltown in a single project. This could be followed by a Mooncoin bypass and new road to the end of the M9 which would give about 18km of DC. Unfortunately the whole lot is rolled up in a mega project so further improvements are unlikely for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Passed through today and I guess it must be coming to the end? The roads seem to be essentially built and they're putting another layer of tarmac on top of existing tarmac, moving all traffic to one side as they lay the other. The Ink Bottle link road appeared to be open, with the old Ink Bottle junction now closed and being dug up off to the side of the road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MentalMario

I drove through this over the weekend, too. It looks like it'll likely be finished by the end of the year.

What was the original end date? End of January?

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Will be driving up that way in the next few weeks. It will be interesting to see the progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭steeler j

Junction open as I passed today . Single still in operation, landscaping and putting up the wire rope divide. Probably not long till it's fully opened .

Advertisement