Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are wasps looking for nesting sites now?

Options
  • 24-04-2019 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

Saw one yesterday flying up and down the garage wall before climbing through the hole where a cable goes in. I've filled the hole with stones for now until I can fill it.

Also earlier in the day I had found 2 dead on the ground in the garage. Can't see a nest at the moment.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Yes! Everyone should keep shed doors/windows closed when not in use and check for gaps/holes. Also listen out every so often for the buzz of dread, if you can't let them out at least make sure they do not start building and maybe a blast of wasp/fly killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Yeah, I've noticed a few queens out scouting the past week or so.

Wasps aren't as bad as a lot of people think, and they fill a valuable role in biodiversity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Effects wrote: »
    Yeah, I've noticed a few queens out scouting the past week or so.

Wasps aren't as bad as a lot of people think, and they fill a valuable role in biodiversity.

Yeah but I still don't want a nest on my property. They can have hundreds or even thousands of wasps in them when they're fully established.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Effects wrote: »

Wasps_7bb5ad_539922.jpg

Wheety wrote: »
    Yeah but I still don't want a nest on my property. They can have hundreds or even thousands of wasps in them when they're fully established.

About 10 mins after my last post I killed a queen wasp that had wandered into my house.

I keep bees so I hate wasps in autumn, but also know the good side of them.
    I've only been stung by a wasp once, when I was a kid, even though I swat at a lot of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

Ive killed some massive wasps the last 2 or 3 days.. are these queens?

kulekat wrote: »

Yeah. Looking to set up their nests.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kulekat

Anyway to deter them from house? Is there any smell/plant i wonder they detest (other than wasp spray!!).

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

kulekat wrote: »

shame on you.....they're the gardeners friend

Advertisement