Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most unusual plant in your garden

Options
  • 23-04-2019 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭

Hi, what’s the most unusual plant in your garden? Post a picture too!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

Gangu wrote: »
    Hi, what’s the most unusual plant in your garden? Post a picture too!

That's a tough question since I have tried to grow some unusual plants and not really sure which would be the most unusual.

There are two broom plants that I have planted from seedlings that came from these larger parent ones. The younger ones I have grown on now seem to have different flowers than the parents so could be a new type of hybrid that was from the parent plants cross pollinating and so could potentially be some way unique to my own garden. Link to video showing new Scot's broom that have different flowers to the parents but maybe don't qualify as that unusual.

Also I have this yellow flowered fremontodendron tree that may be unusual here as we might not have warm enough weather for it to be grown widely. It is in the most sheltered spot in the garden I could find with full light and is still growing so I'm hopeful it will continue to produce some nice summer flowers. It's probably fairly common on the west coast of the USA.

Another plant from the west coast of the USA that I have growing is ceanothus/Californian lilac which comes in a number of varieties. I particularly like a big leaved one that looks like it will grow bigger than some of the other types I have. This is shown near the end of this recent video I posted of what was in flower this month. Next to the big ceanothus with the blue flowers is one of a number of flowering dogwood/Himalayan strawberry trees that I have grown from seed and are not usually available to buy so could also be a contender for most unusual plant in my garden. I collected the fruit from a tree in UCC at the end of December 2013 and after letting the fruit rot down kept the seedling trees in a polytunnel for their first winter and planted most of them around the garden at the start of 2015 so a bit to go before getting flowers and fruit on them. From what I read the taste of the fruit is variable but on some can be nice to eat so looking forward to see how that turns out.
    I also like the feijoa tree I have growing just for its nice shape and interesting flowers but I reckon we may not have the climate for it to produce good fruit and reckon it also probably counts as unusual here.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,354 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i've grown a walnut tree and a sequoia from seed; though they're in my father in law's garden now, ours is a decent size for a suburban garden but not big enough for them.
    we had what was possibly deadly nightshade or woody nightshade appeared in the garden a year or two back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭blackbox

I have a metasequoia. Just coming into leaf now.

Advertisement