Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fast growing hedges

Options
  • 23-04-2019 10:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hi,

First time in the gardening forum, and have searched through. Looking for advice for our estate.

There is spiked metal fencing erected along the boundary line and there are trees and brambles running the entire length of the fence. Unfortunately there is one patch where people have taken to dumping topsoil, grass cuttings, large branches etc which has now killed the trees/brambles.

I'm looking for ideas to replace, hopefully with a fast growing hedge / wild brambles? White thorn?

I've been offered a couple saplings (not sure what plants) however I'd say these will take a while to fill up the area.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭macraignil

White thorn is a hardy native plant that is good for wildlife and makes a good hedge with its thorns and nice flowers so would be one of the better choices. Cotoneaster is also a very vigorous plant with flowers and berries if you want an option without thorns. I would avoid the cotoneaster horizontalis variety as its small leaves make it a bit uglier than some of the bigger leaved varieties. Berberris darwinii is also a good option if you are looking for something evergreen. Buddleia is also very fast growing and great for attracting butterflies.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭leecurlywurly

Hi Macraignil,

Thank you for your input, I'll look into these options!
    macraignil wrote: »
    White thorn is a hardy native plant that is good for wildlife and makes a good hedge with its thorns and nice flowers so would be one of the better choices. Cotoneaster is also a very vigorous plant with flowers and berries if you want an option without thorns. I would avoid the cotoneaster horizontalis variety as its small leaves make it a bit uglier than some of the bigger leaved varieties. Berberris darwinii is also a good option if you are looking for something evergreen. Buddleia is also very fast growing and great for attracting butterflies.

Advertisement