Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

C300h vs IS300h or PHEV?

Options
  • 23-04-2019 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,908 ✭✭✭

Hello everyone,

This topic is related to buying a car, but it is more of a research into the area of hybrids and PHEVs. I know these questions come up a lot but I am finding it very difficult to judge the information and extrapolate into my own situation.

As someone who quite likes cars, likes to drive and is interested in fuel economy, I find myself looking to move on from my 2013 A4 TDI. I am just finding myself going in circles when deciding what to do next.

Background

Since moving to north Dublin I have understandably seem my economy cut.

Before move: 46.5mpg (6.1 L/100) over the approx. 1500 of mainly motorway driving.

50 to 60 km commute each way.

Afrer: 42.1mpg (6.7 L/100) over approx. 1500km which is a lot of north Dublin driving but still a few 30min motorway journeys. Average speed of 44kph.

At most 20km commute each way (3 days a week), 4km commute each way (4 days a week).

The A4 in generally was not as economical as I would have liked but it certainly is not doing well now.

What I am Looking At

I am leaving my preference for an estate at the door for the moment.

I really like the W205 C-Class. We have a E300h in the family which I have driven and it is very easy to drive economically compared to the A4.

I am looking at a C300h UK import as it has a great interior, it is meant to be very comfy (I would push for airmatic)

I am also looking at the C350e but that is dependant on me moving to a place where I can charge in the driveway (can't at work). Economy really seems to nosedive the second the engine kicks in. So too many variables so I that is best put to one side.

I am also looking at the IS300h. Reliable, not as nice an interior but it is still meant to be comfy and nice to be in.

What To Do
    I can sell the A4, pay off the remainder of the loan and have a couple of grand to go towards VRT. The added expense in a new car loan for a younger higher spec car may offset the fuel savings, but I do not mind spending the money to have a nice car which is comfortable, quiet (very important) and a nice place to be.

The C300h is quite economical, fantastic looking interior (aside from the tablet in the dash), but I have not driven one around north Dublin for too long. The engine is clattery. The IS300h may not be as strong overall on MPG but it would be more refined. Slower.

I suppose I am looking for experiences and advice, rather than more long term test reviews where it is difficult to gauge the driving being done.

Many thanks for reading, it helps to get it down on paper in ways.

Advertisement