If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact

Irish Water - New Connection - Help?

  • 23-04-2019 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3


    We are in the process of planning permission which was submitted Dec 2018. Our site is located in the balbriggan area. We are building a self-build and part of this is connecting to the mains for foul water drainage. The connection point is 200m from the site entrance down the public road to the public mains.

    Now my questions:
    Who owns the connection, IW or the private owner?
    What are all the steps associated with such a connection?
    When planning permission is granted, what is the next formal step to initiate the process?

    Anyone previously experience this with Fingal County Council?

    Thank you.


  • Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

    I am not an expert on this, but a workmate ended up with a huge bill for the connection as it has to be paid by the owner. Charging details seem to be available here. The distance from the mains to the house can be a huge driver of the charge. The std charge covers up to 10m, an additional 190m would add @ €15,000

  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

    If the 200m is all along the public road this will be very costly. Firstly Fingal will require you to pay I think 25% of the development contribution before they will process your water connection application (you still apply through fingal but Irish water will send you the bill). Then you get a bill from Irish water for the connection this is calculated based on the size of your property and the distance to the connection expect a big number at 200m distance. Once you have paid this in advance you can then arrange the works which will need a road opening license from Fingal. This also costs money calculated at a rate of €100/m2 of road surface being excavated. They work out the cost using this rate and require you to submit a cash deposit for that amount which they will refund 80% of if you reinstate the road to their spec. You will also need to submit road safety reports has evidence of insurance. On top of all of the above costs you will have to pay a builder to dig the trench and reinstate the road. Have you considered a septic tank? I would not be surprised for that to be substantially cheaper.

  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

  • Registered Users Posts: 13,748 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

    FWIW it cost my workmate @ €30k if I remember correctly, this was in Fingal before IW standardised the pricing and it was decided at the local authority level.

  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

    There was work done on the Ministers road in Lusk where a pipe was tunnelled under the road, so not requiring the road to be opened, which might cost less overall

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 SineadOC72

    We just got a €45,000 quote after just letting our old offer of €2,800 expire. The new pricing system is unfair, and it has ground our small house build to a halt.
    Sure that's a quarter of our overall budget, just to connect to a junction 30m away. Where are they getting these prices from?!