Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Cherry Tree planted in container

Options
  • 23-04-2019 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Just lost one of my cherry tree...i cannot enjoy the others while knowing this one is lost.
    So,i decided yesterday to replace it once i got confirmation that is lost.

While removing the old tree,found a lots of white small moving fishy worms like.

No ideea what they are,never seen them, before and how do they end up on a so sealed high plastic container !??

Any ideea,how do i prevent spread and, more importantly, can i plant my new healthy tree in the same place !?

Many thanks.

PS
    Pictures not so good lucking ,i am not embeding them in the html page.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Hillybilly4

Those look like vine weevil grubs to me. Horrible things. The grubs eat the roots of things in pots, like strawberries and ornamental plants and fruit bushes/trees.
    Info here https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=234
    Don't replant in that soil/pot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, they're vine weevil grubs.
    however, was that tree planted in a container with no drainage?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭standardg60

Big fat vine weevil grubs.. some already pupating to adult stage, squish em all.
    The adults (all female incidentally) lay eggs in the autumn and the grubs feed through the winter.
    It's fine to replant with fresh compost but mix in or use a soil based compost as I've found they don't like it as much.
    There are treatments available for grub infested pots but it's also wise to find and kill the adults as they feed on the leaves during the summer at night or hiding in crevices during the day.

yep, they're vine weevil grubs.
    however, was that tree planted in a container with no drainage?

I can understand why you asked that question, grub infested pots are always wetter than others simply because the root system of the plant has been eaten away and it's ability to take up moisture severely restricted.
    Waterlogging is a result rather than a cause.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Thanks to ALL !

Yes,cherry tree passed away with roots dried.
    Not sure why or how as i treated all 12 with same care and love.

Probable from the original soil / compost,some compromised soil bugs type of that came with the bag.
    Or the wind dropped something weird or birds dropping(s) the bug that created the bigger infection ?

I did turned all soil upside down,in a wheelbarrow to have it exposed to light /UV /Sun.
    Cleaned the whitey fishey,all dead.
    Lots of centipedes,bugs adn worms inside the container.
    Seen that once they are exposed to light or Sun,they decides to give away.
    I hope to be able to reuse the soil as i dont wanna throw it away and create contamination some where place.

I'll wait a day or two and keep an eye for the small white bugs.

Again,thanks for help...couldn't enjoy the other trees because of my little Stella cherry.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,492 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I can understand why you asked that question, grub infested pots are always wetter than others simply because the root system of the plant has been eaten away and it's ability to take up moisture severely restricted.
    Waterlogging is a result rather than a cause.
    not sure if you understood - i asked because the OP referred to a 'sealed plastic container' and the photos are of a container with significant standing water in it.
    i've had vine weevil infestations in plant pots where the plant has survived, but i've never planted a plant in a pot with zero drainage, unless it's a bog plant - which a cherry tree is not.

not sure if you understood - i asked because the OP referred to a 'sealed plastic container' and the photos are of a container with significant standing water in it.
    i've had vine weevil infestations in plant pots where the plant has survived, but i've never planted a plant in a pot with zero drainage, unless it's a bog plant - which a cherry tree is not.

Ah get you now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

Hi,

Just to eliminate the plastic container... small versus big.

I guess is the organic manure that may have triggered all the issues with the poor tree..

Thanks

478592.jpg

Advertisement