Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameras with 4K recording

Options
  • 23-04-2019 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,218 ✭✭✭

I had Sony CyberShot DSCHX200V that got busted up in an accident last year. I had intended to simply buy another but can't find any new online (if anyone knows of a website please let me know).

I was going get the 400V instead but this morning I was looking into cameras with 4K recording.

Canon have the EOS 250D coming in a few days but has no built in GPS. A GPS receiver is another €300. GPS is a must.

I have no idea how video I would shoot but doesn't 4K require a lot of storage space? I read 30 minutes of 4K can be 100 gigs - which is a lot of memory cards.

Am I better of going with the Sony 400V and getting a cheap 4K camcorder (like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Camcorder-Control-Vlogging-External-Microphone/dp/B07NRHYZ3L/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=2R14VS5HD7L0C&keywords=4k+camcorder&qid=1556010550&s=gateway&sprefix=4k+cam%2Caps%2C265&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1) and few extra memory cards? Isn't 4K recording just 4K recording or can it be "bad" 4K recording? Or should I get a brand like Sony. Panasonic, etc.?

I've been search for 4K cameras with hard drives but cannot find any - is it only memory cards now?

Cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Let's rewind here a small bit. What do you record? And do you need 4K at all?

It's worth keeping in mind that memory is also very cheap these days, 128GB cards can be had for anything from 15->50euro depending on brand and speed. There are no cameras with 'hard drives' included. Memory cards are so cheap and generally reliable that most prefer being able to swap out cards as they need. I know of no manufacturers making any camera with built in storage like you describe.

Another thing to note about 4K is that it is difficult to process due to it's large file size. You would tend to want a good computer to do any rendering of 4K if that's what you need. And even though memory cards are cheap, storing a whole pile of 4K footage long term can become a challenge.

4K is only the resolution. Or how many pixels the video is recorded on. The quality can still be absolutely terrible on a 4K camera, just the way it can be with any other video camera 4K or not.

Really I think your post comes down to my first question, what are you recording in the first place? Why is GPS a requirement (I'm not certain GPS can embed into video at all...)? Why are you considering 2 cameras at the end?

And as an add-on point, that amazon link to the 4k video camera is absolute garbage. Not worth even looking at. The amazon reviews are very likely fake:

https://reviewmeta.com/amazon-uk/B07NRHYZ3L

Advertisement