Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hardy flowering shrubs

Options
  • 21-04-2019 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭

As title says looking for recommendations for shrubs in a shaded garden...I am not anyway Green fingered, so something easy managed. Good drainage in the bed I will planting in. Everything I have planted in the past has died.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

How shady? Hydrangeas would probably work well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

jaffa20 wrote: »
    How shady? Hydrangeas would probably work well.

In a border against a 7 foot wall ... the location might get a couple of hours sun in the morning between 9 and 11

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Camellia?

How close to the wall did you plant the things that died?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Crested iris tends to grow well in shade. Hellebores certainly will.

Lumen wrote: »
    Camellia?

How close to the wall did you plant the things that died?
    About half a foot ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

harr wrote: »
    About half a foot ...
    That's probably why they died. Rain shadow and footings.

Give them as much space as you can, and keep the root area free of grass and weeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Large ferns (any ferns really, but large ones will fill the space better), hellebores, Daphne (lovely scent), some roses (check on the label to see if they are suited to shade) honeysuckle (provide sturdy wires not trellis, for support), bergenia, Amelanchier (more of a tree but very pretty).

Thanks for all your suggestions, I did a pick n mix form suggestions. Hopefully tomorrow’s weather doesn’t undo my effort:rolleyes:

Advertisement