Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does this make sense? Breaking my fixed rate

Options
  • 20-04-2019 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

I am currently 1 year into a 3 year fixed rate mortgage with PTSB, current rate 3.3%.

I was shopping around and saw other banks are offering better rates than the one that I am on. Also, I believe that the same 3 year fixed rate with PTSB is currently lower than the rate I have.

I called PTSB and asked if I could get a better rate, and understandably they said no as I am in a fixed rate for another 2 years.

However, when I asked how much would it cost to break this fixed rate and switch to another bank, they confirmed that currently there would be no charge for doing so. So am I right in saying that technically, I could break my fixed term, switch to variable rate and then immediately fix again for another 3 years on the now better rate.

Does this make any sense? I sure hope so! If PTSB are letting me leave for free, I don't see why they won't let me move to Variable for free.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Yes. I did that with KBC. Broke at the end of one month, start of next month with a new fixed rate. Saving nearly €50 a month. Had to pay for a valuation (cost €130) though. Not sure if you'll have the same stipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭jayjay2010

Wheety wrote: »
    Yes. I did that with KBC. Broke at the end of one month, start of next month with a new fixed rate. Saving nearly €50 a month. Had to pay for a valuation (cost €130) though. Not sure if you'll have the same stipulation.

Why did you have to pay another valuation fee? Other than that, was there anything that the bank needed you to do/pay for?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

jayjay2010 wrote: »
    Why did you have to pay another valuation fee? Other than that, was there anything that the bank needed you to do/pay for?

Because KBC... We had to get valuation when moving within KBC to more favourable variable rate...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

jayjay2010 wrote: »

KBC insisted on it.

Filled in a form to break the fixed rate and another one to apply for new fixed rate. No other cost, apart from valuation.

Advertisement