Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problems with mortgage company

Options
  • 20-04-2019 12:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭

I'd like some advice please.

We came into some inheritance last year and used it to pay a chunk off our mortgage.
    It caused huge problems, the mortgage company, 1st as they have no high street branches it took numerous calls and trips to parent company brnahces to figure out how to pay them (bank draft).
    They then lost our letter of intent (do we want to shorten the term or the monthly repayments).
    They received the draft in July, didn't process it until October.
    After a lot of agro, they agreed to back date our interest repayments to the beginning to the process (when we 1st enquired how to transfer the funds to them).
    I wrote them an official letter of complaint, (they have 40 business days to respond), after 40 days they lost it (it was logged into their system but no one put an action against it).

Then things go quiet until the end of March when we get our balancing statement for 2018, the maths is all over the place.
    The 1k+ in excess interested we had been charged and then received a cheque for, they charged that against our outstanding loan.

So after 12 months of on time payments and a bank transfer, our 2018 account shows they we paid less than the bank transfer alone in total off our capital.

No one seems able to help us, MABS won't because we are not behind on our mortgage payment and the central bank referred me to the ombudsman who are asking me for documents from the mortgage company (which I have requested but never received).

I made a request under GDPR for all my recorded correspondence in October and have heard nothing since.

Anyone got any advice on how to proceed from here?
    I'm in the process of changing mortgage companies but I'll still have to deal with these turds for a while.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭phormium

Try your local Citizens Information office or a few of them if you are near several. Ask if they have any volunteers that have bank or accountancy experience and see when they are working and call in.

This is the sort of query I would have loved figuring out in my days with Citizens Info :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Can you complain to the ombudsman?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

amcalester wrote: »
    Can you complain to the ombudsman?

Not until they receive a letter of final response from the lender.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

banie01 wrote: »
    Not until they receive a letter of final response from the lender.

If it goes over the 40 days and no final response is received then usually you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,573 ✭✭✭✭banie01

amcalester wrote: »
    If it goes over the 40 days and no final response is received then usually you can.

Certainly for the GDPR request they can escalate to the ODPC at this stage and I would advise the OP lodge a complaint on that front immediately.

Regarding the complaint, yes they can.
    However the Ombudsman will still pushback for the final response to be issued to the customer before they take the case.
    Barring a complete breakdown in communication from the lender, the Ombudsman will push for a negotiation between parties rather than an immediate finding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

banie01 wrote: »
    Certainly for the GDPR request they can escalate to the ODPC at this stage and I would advise the OP lodge a complaint on that front immediately.

Regarding the complaint, yes they can.
    However the Ombudsman will still pushback for the final response to be issued to the customer before they take the case.
    Barring a complete breakdown in communication from the lender, the Ombudsman will push for a negotiation between parties rather than an immediate finding.

Thank you for the replies.

That is my problem, the company insist on communicating through snail mail.

Most get 'lost' or better yet answer a question which has nothing to do with the complaint or the queries raised within.

That is my quandary, the ombudsman won't help me until the company send me certain docs and the company have 'lost', 'mis-registered' and generally messed up everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

They have breached GDPR by failing to respond to your Subject Access Request (SAR). Contact the Data Protection Commission immediately.

Advertisement