Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Austria ideas or suggestions

Options
  • 19-04-2019 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi everyone, looking at the idea of 2 weeks in Austria in sept, would appreciate and tips or advice etc from any of ye good folk who have visited . Would be hiring a car and travelling around , a few nights here n there . Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Graz is a lovely city to base yourselves for a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

The beautiful lakes - swimming, boat rides(silent electric boats), ferries for the budget traveller.
    Driving the famous mountain passes and scenic Alpenstrasse (toll roads)
    Wearing lederhosen without getting funny looks.
    Great network of cycling and walking routes.

The beautiful lakes - swimming, boat rides(silent electric boats), ferries for the budget traveller.
    Driving the famous mountain passes and scenic Alpenstrasse (toll roads) e.g. Nochalmstrasse in the south, Carinthia, or the GrossGlockner more west.
    Great network of cycling and walking routes.
    Wearing lederhosen without getting funny looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭wijam

did a few days in Vienna and Salzburg, two beautiful cities. Vienna is great for walking about and taking it all in and the Schonbrunn Palace and grounds are something else

Also meant to do a visit to the Eagle's Nest from Salzburg, but left it to late to book, so that is definitely still on the list

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭VG31

I have been in and around Vienna, Salzburg, Innsbruck and Bregenz.

The Salzburg region is my favourite place I've visited in Austria. I'd spend at least a week in Salzburg. The city itself can be seen in 2 to 3 days but there are lots of day trips you can do to the Salzkammergut lake region. Some day trips you can do include Hallstatt, Bad Ischl, Wolfgangsee (St Wolfgang/St Gilgen), Mondsee. You could also split your stay between the city and the Salzkammergut.
    wijam wrote: »
    Also meant to do a visit to the Eagle's Nest from Salzburg, but left it to late to book, so that is definitely still on the list

The Berchtesgaden National Park region in Bavaria is a must see. I've done day trips there from both Munich and Salzburg and there's still more I would like to see. I'd go as far as to recommend staying there for a few days. There's a lot to do if you like the outdoors. As well as the Eagle's Nest of course; Königssee, the Wimbachklamm gorge, the church of St Sebastian in Ramsau and the Salt Mines are well worth visiting.

I spent 4 nights in Vienna and felt that it was long enough.

Consider starting in Vienna and going west towards Salzburg. I wouldn't bother going to the Tyrol as it's probably a bit much to do in two weeks. I haven't been there but you could go maybe go as far as the Grossglockner High Alpine Road.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Innsbruck is great and a lot less crowded than Vienna or Salzburg, cable car all the way to almost 10,000 feet up and outstanding hiking in Summer season.

The view on this is outstanding https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semmering_railway

If you get as far as Innsbruck take the slow train to Munich via Garmish & Seefled, amazing scenery

The museum at Eagles Nest is worth a visit to understand the background and something of the locals. No extra cost.
    In Kaerten/Carinthia there was a free tourist card for visitors staying more than 3 nights. Gave free entry to many local attractions. I'm sure other area will have similar. Salzburg certainly.

At meal-times .. skip the soup option.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭green n gold

Thanks for the input so far , Im just tryin to get the usual right balance of seeing the best bits while still enjoying a holiday . The Grosslockener pass is a definite must , done the two big romanian mountain roads last year , awesome .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

I had lunch in Salzburg as was getting a connecting train from Munich to Vienna. I then had three nights in Vienna. I have to say I loved them both. Salzburg is a beautiful city and I have marked it down to go back and check it out properly. When you get out of the train station they have guides there who speak English and are ready to help you buy a bus ticket etc.

Vienna was nice also. The architecture was impressive and the palace and grounds were stunning. Have a google at Vienna's cafes and make sure you check them out. We were some old school one for a few hours (it was pouring rain) and it was brilliant. Weather permitting check out the beach bars. We were there mid week in July and just sat in a beach chair as the soon went down. Straandbar was the name of the one we went to I think.

Enjoy

Advertisement