Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where are all the jobs?

Options
  • 19-04-2019 11:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26

Hi

I'm a PHP developer with 1 year of experience. I'm looking for a new job due to a layoff. I have framework experience with Laravel, and more recently I'm starting to use Angular.

I'm looking for a new job in Dublin and there are very few jobs on sites such as indeed, monster, Irish jobs. It's usually the same companies posting jobs across multiple sites, or recruiters.

Am I doing something wrong, as never mind rejections (I'm actually progressing in 1/2 atm). I can't seem to find adverts on these sites in this "booming tech industry" in Ireland.

I had a recruiter contact me last week via Linkedin who has been very helpful. She found two PHP jobs for me in Dublin City Center and submitted applications for both. One wants to have an interview sometime in the next week (depends on when the manager is back from holidays), so that's something. I also got great advice on my CV from her. So something may come of this.

Any ideas, or tips on how I should go about looking for a job. Or even opinions
    on finding a new job in the country.

I'm planning on Learning Node/Express & React but for now, I need a PHP job to make money while I upskill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

There's usually a dropoff running up to Easter, and until a bit after Easter. Lots of decision makers taking two week holidays. You'll then get another burst up until June, then little until September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I've been out of work for a good few months now. Looking for android dev work mainly but also trying to move into backend java in a more junior role.

There has been a few jobs but not loads. I've gotten a few rejections so have come to the conclusion that I'm just a terrible dev and if I want a job I'll need to trick some poor company into hiring me!!

But ye, I'm not seeing a booming industry awash with dev jobs. I was thinking maybe companies are unsure because of brexit so are holding off on hiring.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 coredev123

I actually have an interview on Friday. It's a junior PHP role and will include a technical challenge. I've no idea what to expect so I'm brushing up on my vanilla PHP just in case, as I mainly use Laravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

The_B_Man wrote: »
    But ye, I'm not seeing a booming industry awash with dev jobs. I was thinking maybe companies are unsure because of brexit so are holding off on hiring.

Year before last, in 2017, it was like somebody turned off a tap wrt C++ contracts after the Brexit vote in 2016. Literally nothing, anywhere, in anything except medical devices.

It rebounded middle of last year, but C++ contracts tend to be a market leading indicator. I wouldn't be surprised if eighteen months or so elapses between C++ contracts and the rest of industry.

So, things may get much better for you six months from now, if the pattern is true. They are very frothy in C++ contracts. I'm being regularly offered €550-700/day for central Dublin now, up from €450/day middle of 2017. Several cold calls a week.

In the meantime, a quick six month contract in London would do no harm to keep the CV fresh.

Niall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

I've given up looking for a job in software development. At the moment I explore new languages and develop when needed, but it's not part of my job description. Concentrating on software problems just helps the time to pass. I'm exploring other areas of employment.

A BA and MSc in computing count for nothing. The last interview I had went well until I explained that I had been working alone in development, essentially as a one-man IT department. It seemed they wanted experience as a team member, but I won't have that until I'm employed properly in IT.

Get out of IT. That's my advice.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Dawido

I graduated from soft dev myself in 2017, found a job in testing for 32k per year. Now i had an offer for testing for 42k which is good improvement i guess. I've tried applying for dev jobs but don't hear back which is sad indeed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 26 coredev123

What tech would you learn today for a new job? Should Node + React be a safe bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭hoganj

@Dawido I was in a similar position when I graduated 20 years ago, lots of testing jobs around and not many dev jobs for grads. Don't lose hope if you want to get into development. Do some development in your own time and put your projects on GitHub, then put this on your CV. Interviewers will check this. Keep writing your own stuff and applying for dev roles. It's like fishing, someone will take the bait.

@coredev123 I've not been active in the market for a while now, but I would stick to the most marketable/popular languages/tech like C#/Java/Python/Ruby even some C++ if you want. I have little knowledge of Node/React etc but if they are popular then get to know them well. Also learn about databases and SQL. Docker knowledge is also good to have.

A lot depends on what area appeals to you most.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Olong

Not sure if I'm on the right forum..quick question though...If someone removes you as a connection from LinkedIn are they in turn then removed from your connections list or will they still appear there? Thanks folks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,057 ✭✭✭.......

Olong wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm on the right forum..quick question though...If someone removes you as a connection from LinkedIn are they in turn then removed from your connections list or will they still appear there? Thanks folks!

They are removed.

The connection between you is broken, for both of you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

coredev123 wrote: »
    What tech would you learn today for a new job? Should Node + React be a safe bet.

What sector would you like to work in?

Advertisement