Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance for house in 'Fair deal' scheme

Options
  • 16-04-2019 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭

Does anyone here have experience of insuring a house on the fair deal scheme?
    i.e. unoccupied long term.
    I've done a quick google but they all seem to ask you to ring them.
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Ring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't think insurance comnpanies really care why the house is unoccupied so 'fair deal' or someone away foreign on a work assignment or a family at war over the parent's will, it makes no odds.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭Bojill

coylemj wrote: »
    I don't think insurance comnpanies really care why the house is unoccupied so 'fair deal' or someone away foreign on a work assignment or a family at war over the parent's will, it makes no odds.

Yes you're probably right, I just thought that someone on here may have been through this and could recommend a particular company etc.
    With all the other stuff going on at the moment, I don't have time to sit on the phone getting quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Bojill wrote: »
    Yes you're probably right, I just thought that someone on here may have been through this and could recommend a particular company etc.
    With all the other stuff going on at the moment, I don't have time to sit on the phone getting quotes.

Try a broker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

The insurance premium will most likely double and you will only be covered for fire damage.

Thats what a pal was told when her parent left the house to go into a nursing home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

As the property cannot be left unoccupied for more than 60 days the current insurance is more than likely not valid. Try Frost Insurances through a broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭jakdublin

I had to do this recently. Your current provider might allow you to continue but as mentioned earlier, they'll only cover for fire damage. I had a row with our provider (they decided not to accept monthly instalments) and had to get other cover. Ended up paying over €950 for a better policy that covers flood damage and other stuff that I can't remember. There's not many providers giving that type of cover here in Ireland so a broker got me the cover in the UK. I'd stick with the current provider if possible. Just don't fall out with them! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

The normal policy usually states that if the property is vacant for more than 30 days without them being informed the cover lapses. I have particular experience of the issue personally. You need to advise the insurer that the present situation has changed and basically end one policy (the existing one) and start a new policy which takes account of the circumstances as they are now. If you're going to rent out the property to help fund the fair deal process then you need to put landlord insurance in place, another headache but do-able.

Main thing is to take it step by step and it will happen. It's not an easy time, particularly if it's a parent or close family member or if it's the family home so take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

coylemj wrote: »

It’s very hard to get insurance on a house which is unoccupied long term. My grandmother’s house is a case in point. One of the conditions is that it is not unoccupied (treated as meaning unvisited) for 30 days st a time.

Can you “stay” in the house a few nights a month op then you can likely just insure it as normal without any extra premium for being unoccupied.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

Can you “stay” in the house a few nights a month op then you can likely just insure it as normal without any extra premium for being unoccupied.

The problem is not an extra premium for the premises being unoccupied, rather a refusal to cover.

Advertisement